Congratulations on the birth of your little angel!
Now that you’ve successfully handled the pressures and difficulties of a nine-month pregnancy, you can see that you have surely changed in many ways.
On the downside, you skin has perhaps suffered the most. You may have stretch marks as well as loose skin, which can be quite frustrating to deal with.
Due to the growing baby inside your womb, the skin around your abdomen stretches a lot. On top of that, the weight gain during pregnancy contributes to sagging skin around your belly, waist and upper arms.
It takes time as well as patience to get rid of sagging or loose skin. Factors like your genes, bone structure and how much weight you gained will determine how fast you can get back to your prepregnancy body.
There are many simple and effective ways to restore and rejuvenate loose skin after pregnancy, so you can get back to your pre-baby body faster.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of loose skin after pregnancy.
1. Lose Weight Slowly
Losing weight is one of the best things you can do for your skin. But you need to focus on losing weight slowly to give your skin more time to recover and regain its elasticity.
When you lose your pregnancy weight too fast, it does not give your skin time to recover. Moreover, losing weight too fast means you will start losing both fat and muscle. Losing muscle will make the problem of loose skin even worse. Muscle is needed to maintain a tight, toned body.
Also, losing muscle quickly will lower your metabolism, which undermines your weight loss efforts.
When it comes to weight loss, your goal should be to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week.
2. Exercise Regularly
Your body may be weak after delivery, but you must start exercising as soon as your body is ready. There is no need to exert yourself, though. You can start doing simple exercises like taking walks with your baby around your neighborhood or some easy yoga poses and squats.
Once your doctor gives the green light regarding your health, you should focus on strength training. Opt for exercises that work the tummy directly, such as sit-ups, planks, bicycle crunches and side bridges.
Along with strength training, cardio exercises will help get rid of the fat under your skin, leaving it tighter and firmer.
If going to the gym is not possible with a newborn baby to take care of, try to make time to run, bike, swim or dance to lose fat and make your skin tighter and more beautiful.
3. Do Daily Oil Massages
Massage your loose skin daily with some nourishing oil to increase blood circulation. Good blood circulation promotes firm and smooth skin. For best results, do the massage just before your bath, then use lukewarm water to bathe.
Plus, regularly massaging with oil will help improve your skin tone and texture by keeping it well-moisturized.
- Apply some warm olive oil or coconut oil on your loose skin. Using gentle yet firm strokes, massage the oil around on your skin.
- Another option is to mix a few drops of peppermint or lavender oil in 2 tablespoons of almond oil and use this blend to massage your skin to help tighten your skin. Almond oil is also good for reducing stretch marks.
Follow either of these remedies once or twice daily for several weeks.
4. Apply Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has natural skin-tightening properties that can help get rid of loose skin post-delivery. The malic acid in aloe vera helps improve skin elasticity. Plus, it is a gentle moisturizer for your skin without making it greasy.
- Extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Smear it on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this once daily.
5. Use Rose Water
Once your child is born, you may not have much time to take care of your skin. One easy trick to tighten your skin is using rose water.
Rose water is a natural astringent, thus it is a great toner and helps tighten loose skin. Plus, it gives you clear and glowing skin.
- Rub some rose water on the affected skin before going to bed.
- Another option is to mix 1 cup of rose water with 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and almond oil. Rub it on the loose skin and massage gently. Do it a few times a week.
6. Breastfeed Your Baby
Deciding to breastfeed your baby is a healthy choice for your child as well as you.
Breast milk is a healthy source of nutrition for your baby, which helps in both physical and mental development.
At the same time, the act of breastfeeding helps burn calories, thus helping you lose the extra fat. Losing weight will in turn help tighten your skin.
7. Exfoliate Once a Week
When it comes to skin care, apart from applying moisturizer regularly, exfoliating the skin at least once a week is important.
Exfoliation stimulates collagen production and improves the elasticity of your skin. It also helps increase blood circulation and regenerate new, healthier skin.
To keep it simple, you can exfoliate your skin when you bathe by just using a loofah.
8. Eat More Protein
To tighten your skin, you need to focus on building muscle. Diet plays a role, and eating healthy protein can help build muscle.
Not only is protein good for muscle growth, it also aids in firming your skin by building and strengthening collagen.
The amount of protein you need to eat depends on a lot of factors, such as how much you exercise as well as your height and weight. You might need more protein if you are breastfeeding. Consult your doctor about how much protein you should eat.
Some good sources of protein are pulses, sprouts, eggs, fish, chicken, quinoa, tofu and soymilk.
9. Stick to a Healthy Diet
Eating healthy is important for firming up your post-pregnancy belly and tightening the loose skin around it.
When your skin gets the nutrients it needs to maintain its elasticity, you will start to see the loose skin fade away. If you do not eat healthy, your skin will be deprived of what it needs to stay soft and firm.
Eat foods rich in antioxidants, vitamins E and A, and omega-3 fatty acids to help your skin heal quickly and maintain elasticity.
10. Drink More Water
Drinking an adequate amount of water is another secret to tightening the loose skin around your belly, thighs and arms. This elixir for your body hydrates your skin and makes it more firm.
Plus, it helps your body burn calories more efficiently and reduces water retention in your abdomen.
Keep on drinking water at regular intervals. Lemon water, infused water, and fruits and vegetables rich in water content are also good options for hydration.
- You can try over-the-counter lotions and creams to increase collagen and elasticity in your skin and make it more firm.
- Once your baby is a few months old, you can go for spa days. A spa treatment is relaxing as well as offers great massages, which increases blood flow and skin elasticity.
- Do not go to tanning beds, as they expose you to chemicals that are not good for skin elasticity.
- After swimming in a pool, always take a shower immediately to wash the chlorine off your skin.
- Do use any skin care products that contain sulfate, as it will steal all the moisture from your skin.
- Never follow a crash diet, no matter how desperate you are about getting back to your prepregnancy look.
- Always wear a good quality sunscreen when going out and cover up as much exposed skin as you can.
- Take steps to manage stress, as it is not good for your skin health.