After a workout, many of us look forward to drinking a cup of coffee. But as your heart is pumping already from your workout, it’s not good to drink coffee or anything that has caffeine in it.
Drinking coffee after exercising can lead to side effects like the jitters, heart palpitations, and even sleep disorders.
Moreover, coffee has a dehydrating effect on the body.
6. Best Post-Workout Hydrating Drinks
Water is the best option for proper post-workout hydration, which is important for proper recovery and maintaining endurance. When it comes to water, it should be room temperature, not cold! Cold water can have a negative impact on your warm intestines and can interfere with enzymes, causing digestive issues.
But plain water can be boring. So, you can try some healthy options like:
- Flavored water, which you can easily make at home. All you need to do is cut water-rich fruits and vegetables and put them in a jug. Fill it with drinking water and set it aside for several hours. You can carry this water along with you to enjoy the flavorful water.
- A glass of homemade chocolate milk has double the carbohydrates compared to plain milk, which makes it a great choice for your post-workout recovery.
- Natural coconut water contains high levels of electrolytes, such as potassium and magnesium. This is great for rehydrating your body and replenishing electrolytes after a workout.
- Any kind of tart juice like cherry juice also makes a great drink to have after your workout session. Being rich in antioxidants, such types of juice aid in reducing inflammation and benefits muscle recovery and functioning.
- If you are a tea lover, enjoy a cup of green or black tea. The compounds in green and black tea can be effective in the fat oxidation process during aerobic exercise and the post-workout recovery.
Some other things that you should remember to follow after a workout:
- Once you finished your workout, lie down for some time to help your body cool down and make your blood pressure return to normal.
- It is also important to stretch for a few minutes after a workout, to prevent your muscles from contracting and help reduce muscle soreness and stiffness.
- After a long workout, you must eat a healthy snack. A protein-based snack is ideal, as it will provide your body the energy to repair and refuel itself.
- Do not rub your eyes or touch your face after a workout with your dirty hands, as it can spread bacteria.
- Always take a shower after completing your workout session.
- Keep track of your workouts to monitor your progress. This will keep you motivated.
- While your workout clothes are comfortable, it is best to change them immediately. Wearing sweaty clothes for a long time can lead to yeast infections or body acne.
- It is very important to get a good night’s rest after an intense workout to help your body heal and repair.
- Just because you worked out doesn’t mean you can just sit around the rest of the day. You must remain active throughout the day.