9. Sleep Well
If you want to lose weight, you have to be sure to sleep well during the night. Experts agree that getting enough sleep is as important as diet and exercise when it comes to losing weight.
A 2008 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that when people lack sleep, late night snacking increases, and they are more likely to choose high-carbohydrate snacks. Moreover, less sleep prompts people to eat bigger portions of all foods, which in turn causes weight gain.
So, enjoy quality sleep of 7 to 9 hours per night. It will also help boost fat loss and keep your brain focused.
Follow these tips to enjoy sound sleep:
- Shut down all your gadgets at least one hour before your bedtime.
- Save your bedroom for sleep and sex.
- Create a bedtime ritual. Take a warm bath, meditate or read a light book.
- Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day, including weekends.
- Avoid eating heavy meals and drinking alcohol close to bedtime.
- Turn off the lights before you tuck in for the night.
10. Manage Stress
Stress is one of the most common causes contributing to weight gain. The release of the cortisol hormone during stress increases appetite, making people eat more. Moreover, during stress people often make poor food choices that cause weight gain.
According to a 2008 study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, different types of psychosocial stress are associated with even more weight gain. Psychosocial stress can be due to financial stress, work-related stress, and strain in relationships with family or a life partner.
So, manage your stress level to help lose weight. Follow these tips to combat stress-related weight gain:
- Recognize the warning signs of stress, such as anxiety, irritability and muscle tension.
- Whenever you are under stress, use deep breathing exercises for relaxaton.
- Meditation and yoga also help manage stress.
- Engage in regular physical activity or exercise.
- Get support from friends and family.
If required, consider seeking professional help through psychotherapy or counseling.
Consistency and regularity is the key to successful weight loss. Hence, you need to follow all of these tips daily without fail.