9. Skin Discoloring or Cyanosis
If your skin or lips turn blue, it clearly indicates low blood oxygen levels or poor circulation. This problem is also known as cyanosis.
A low oxygen level in your blood causes the color to change from bright red to darker. This makes the skin around the eyes, gums and lips look blue. Even your fingers and toes will have a slightly bruised look.
Sudden discoloration of the skin in babies can also be the first sign of congenital heart disease, so it’s important to seek medical advice immediately.
10. Tightness or Heaviness in the Chest
Your heart is responsible for pumping blood around your body, but to function properly the heart also needs adequate blood flow. Low circulation in the arteries to your heart causes tightness and heaviness in the chest.
The heavy feeling will come and go randomly. Medically, this problem is known as angina pectoris, or simply angina. Chest pain may also be a sign of atherosclerosis in these arteries.
However, chest pain can also be a symptom of a muscle spasm, heartburn, acidity, an upper respiratory infection, a stomach ulcer, and indigestion.
If you have chest pain, consult your doctor right away to prevent a potentially life-threatening medical problem.
Tips to Improve Circulation
- Make physical exercise a part of your daily routine.
- Stress can also affect circulation, so take necessary steps to handle stress.
- Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to ½ cup of warm olive oil and use it to massage your body, especially the extremities.
- Try constrast hydrotherapy (alternate hot and cold treatment) to promote proper circulation.
- Poor posture can contribute to poor circulation. Be sure to keep your spine straight while sitting or walking.
- Avoid coffee and switch to green tea for general well-being.
- Don’t overdo your alcohol consumption.
- Quit smoking and avoid exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Add nuts, seeds, cayenne pepper or black pepper, garlic, onion and ginger in your diet to stimulate your circulatory system.
- Always invest in a good pair of shoes that do not hamper proper circulation in your legs.