7. Treats Insect Bites and Stings
Insect bites and stings, can be painful and itchy. To reduce the discomforts, all you need is a handful of common salt.
Salt is a great way to help neutralize the venom of a bee or yellow jacket sting. Due to its antiseptic properties, salt also disinfects the site of injury. It draws out the toxin immediately and effectively reduces pain and inflammation.
- Wash the area with antiseptic soap and lukewarm water. In case of a bee or wasp sting, remove the stinger very carefully before rinsing the area.
- Apply a paste of salt and a little water on the site of the bite or sting.
- Allow it to dry, then rinse it off after 30 minutes.
- Repeat as needed.
8. Cures a Runny Nose or Nasal Congestion
For an adult or child, a saline rinse for nasal irrigation is one of the best home remedies for a runny nose. Salt will help loosen up mucus, making it easier and more comfortable to expel.
It will even clear the nasal passages of irritants and make it easy for you to breathe comfortably.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 2 cups of warm distilled water.
- Use this solution for nasal irrigation using a neti pot or some other irrigation device.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times daily for a few days.
Note: Wash the irrigation device after each use.