9. Vitamin C
Similar to vitamin E, vitamin C protects the skin from free radicals. Free radicals can cause great damage to the skin, leading to dry skin or cracks.
This water-soluble vitamin is also crucial in the production of collagen, which is needed for healthy skin. In fact, a deficiency of vitamin C can cause skin dryness. Along with vitamin C, zinc and omega-3 fatty acids are also good for facilitating skin repair and wound healing. In fact, a deficiency of these nutrients could contribute to cracked feet.
- Eat foods high in vitamin C including citrus fruits, such as oranges and grapefruit, strawberries, tomatoes, cauliflower, red peppers and pineapple. In addition, include omega-3 and zinc-rich foods in your diet. Some good sources of these nutrients include fatty fish, oysters, chia seeds, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and fortified cereals.
- You can opt to take a supplement after consulting your doctor.
10. Water Intake
Proper water intake is important for maintaining healthy cell metabolism. A dehydrated body can lead to dry skin and also cannot repair existing skin damage.
If your skin is not getting the sufficient amount of water, it will become tight and less resilient, which means your feet become more prone to cracks and fissures.
- Drink an ample amount of water throughout the day. A good rule of thumb is to drink enough water that your urine has little to no color.
- Along with water, include water-rich fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- As healthy feet start with good hygiene, make sure to keep them clean and dry all the time.
- Do not use products containing alcohol, as it will further dry out the skin.
- Always apply a thick foot cream on your feet after bathing.
- Avoid using hot water for bathing, as it removes the oils from the skin.
- Avoid saunas and steam baths, as they may contribute to skin dryness.
- Always wear properly fitting shoes to allow your feet to breathe.
- Winter weather and central heating can cause dry and cracked skin. Remember to moisturize your feet several times a day during the winter.
- Backent heat loss from your feet by wearing good quality socks.