9. Unexplained Weight Loss
If you are suddenly losing weight, especially when you are not trying to, it can be due to the presence of a cancer.
About 6 out of 10 people with lung cancer experience sudden weight loss. It can also be due to other types of cancer, such as stomach, pancreatic or esophageal cancer.
When cancer is present, you lose weight because cancer cells start using energy stored in the body. Plus, your body may not be able to absorb all the fat, protein and carbohydrates from the food you eat. Often, along with weight loss, you will have symptoms like constant fatigue, loss of appetite and weakness.
If you are not dieting and still losing weight, see your doctor to find out the exact cause.
10. Nail Clubbing
Nail clubbing causes several changes in fingernails or toenails. These changes include softening of the nail beds, changes in the angle between the cuticle and the nail, and downward curving of the nail.
The most common cause of nail clubbing is reduced amount of oxygen in the blood due to some heart or lung problem. 3 out of 10 people with non small cell lung cancer are likely to develop this symptom.
If you have nail clubbing along with some of the other symptoms mentioned above, consult your doctor immediately.
Tips to reduce your chances of getting lung cancer
- If you’ve never smoked, don’t start. If you smoke, it is time to quit.
- Make sure not to be exposed to secondhand smoke.
- Test your home for radon and take necessary steps to remove it.
- Avoid being exposed to airborne carcinogens at work.
- Avoid going to highly polluted and industrialized areas.
- Improve the indoor air quality of your home and office by having indoor plants, such as a fern, peace lily, bamboo palm, aloe vera, English Ivy and others.
- Exercise daily and stay active.
- Eat a diet comprising nutritious fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Avoid stress and anxiety, which adversely impact your health. Do meditation and yoga to relax your mind and body.
- Practice deep breathing for 10 minutes, a few times daily.
- Cleanse and detox your lungs by drinking ginger tea, 2 or 3 times a day.
- Do not take any medications or supplements without consulting your doctor.
- Maintain proper hygiene and get regular health checkups.