Roses are the ‘Queen of Flowers’ and these beautiful flowers can add elegance and a real charm to any garden or home interior.
For ages, people have revered roses for their beauty, aromatic oil and medicinal powers. Many products are made with roses and one of the most widely used is rose water, which is created by distilling rose petals with steam.
It is one of the most amazing ingredients that you can include in your skin or beauty care routine. It has also been used traditionally in food and drink products.
Rose water contains a number of powerful antioxidants, and it has antiseptic, antibacterial, antiaging and anti-inflammatory properties.
You can purchase rose water or make your own rose water at home.
Here are the top 10 benefits of rose water for skin, hair and health.
1. Excellent Toner for Dry Skin
Rose water is a good toner, especially for dry skin. It can help reduce dryness and keeps the skin well-moisturized.
Also, it helps restore the skin’s pH to keep it looking young and fresh.
- Put 2 tablespoons of rose water in a spray bottle.
- Add 1 teaspoon of glycerin to it.
- Shake the bottle so that the ingredients mix together thoroughly.
- Lightly spray the toner on your face, before applying a moisturizer.
- Use once daily.
You can keep the remaining solution refrigerated for up to 10 days.
2. Soothes Skin Irritation
Whether you have skin irritation due to eczema, dermatitis or rosacea, rose water can provide instant relief.
Rose water has anti-inflammatory as well as soothing properties that help soothe any kind of skin irritation and redness.
It also works as a great cleanser to remove accumulated oil and dirt that are clogging your pores.
- Put a little rose water on a cotton ball and dab it on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash your skin.
- Do this once daily.
3. Treats Acne
You can use rose water to treat acne as well. It helps cleanse the pores, controls excess oil and even prevents acne breakouts. Also, it aids in healing acne scars.
Rose water helps maintain the skin’s pH balance, which is important for preventing acne.
- For daily use, mix together 1 tablespoon each of rose water and lemon juice. Apply it on the affected area and allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Wash it off with fresh water. Do it once daily.
- For weekly use, add enough rose water to 1 tablespoon of green clay powder to make a paste. Apply it to your face, allow it to dry and then rinse it off with water. Use this mask once a week to enjoy acne-free skin.
4. Heals Cracked Heels
While rose water alone cannot heal cracked heels, the classic combination of rose water and glycerin works as an effective home treatment for cracked heels.
The glycerin softens the skin, and the rose water provides vitamins A, B3, C, D and E as well as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties to the skin.
- Thoroughly mix together equal amounts of rose water and glycerin.
- Rub it on your heels and feet daily before going to bed at night.
- The next morning, wash your feet with lukewarm water.
- Repeat as needed.
5. Makes Lips Soft and Pink
You no longer have to hide your stained lips under the cover of lipstick. You can use rose water to make your lips soft and pink like a rose flower.
- Apply rose water on your lips each day before going to bed.
- For an added bit of color, cut a beetroot into small pieces and let it dry out in the sun. Grind the dry pieces into a fine powder. Mix a pinch of this powder with enough rose water to form a paste. Apply it on your lips. After 10 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily.
6. Natural Makeup Remover
Leaving your makeup on for too long can cause huge damage to your skin. Instead of investing in expensive makeup removers, you can use rose water.
It is a great natural makeup remover for all skin types. Also, it helps cleanse your skin to keep it healthy and glowing.
- Dip a cotton ball in pure rose water.
- Use it to gently wipe your face to remove all your makeup. If needed, use additional cotton balls dipped in rose water.
- Use this natural makeup remover every day before going to bed.
7. Benefits Hair
Whether you suffer from dry and frizzy hair, a scalp infection or dandruff, a bottle of rose water can come to your rescue.
The nourishing and moisturizing properties of rose water improve hair quality and make it shiny. It also works as a natural conditioner and revitalizes hair growth.
Also, its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory nature helps treat mild scalp inflammations and get rid of dandruff.
- To deeply condition and give your hair a nice shine, use 1 cup of rose water as a final rinse after shampooing your hair.
- To treat a mild scalp infection, mix equal amounts of rosewater and glycerin. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on your scalp and massage for 10 minutes. Allow it to sit for another 30 minutes, then wash your hair with shampoo. Do it 1 or 2 times a week until the condition of your scalp improves.
8. Relaxes Tired Eyes
Strained and tired eyes can spoil your beauty. Rose water is soothing and cooling for the eyes and helps relax tired eyes. In addition, it helps reduce puffiness under the eyes.
Also, the vitamin A in it reduces the risk of dry eyes.
- Dip a cotton ball in pure rose water and apply it on your closed eyelids. Leave it on for about 10 minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, use pure rose water as eye drops for instant relief. Put just 1 or 2 drops of rose water in your eyes as needed.
9. Improves Mood
The soothing scent of rose water can enhance your mood. Also, it has antidepressant and anti-anxiety properties.
A 2011 study published in the Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Science found that the extract of rose petals can relax the central nervous system in mice.
It can help fight feelings of anxiety and promote emotional well-being, thereby making you feel more relaxed.
- Spray some rose water in the room where you are sitting. The aroma that fills the room will improve your mood.
- Another option is to put some rose water on a handkerchief and inhale the smell.
10. Relieves Headaches
Rose water can bring fast relief from headaches, due to its soothing fragrance and cooling properties. In fact, it is one of the oldest headache remedies that people have used with positive results.
- Apply a cold compress soaked in rose water to the head for 45 minutes.
- Also, you can add a few drops of lavender oil to rose water and apply it on the temples to reduce headache pain.
You can also spray a little rose water on your pillow to help you sleep better after a long day, which is important for preventing headaches.
- The antioxidant properties of rose water help keep fine lines and wrinkles at bay.
- Its astringent nature helps clean skin pores.
- It can be used a cleanser on all skin types.
- To reduce a suntan, make a paste of gram flour and rose water. Apply it for 15 minutes to get rid of tanned skin.
- Mix rose water with almond oil or regular cream and use it as a moisturizer for your body.
- Rose water also helps heal scars, cuts and wounds.