Roses are the ‘Queen of Flowers’ and these beautiful flowers can add elegance and a real charm to any garden or home interior.
For ages, people have revered roses for their beauty, aromatic oil and medicinal powers. Many products are made with roses and one of the most widely used is rose water, which is created by distilling rose petals with steam.
It is one of the most amazing ingredients that you can include in your skin or beauty care routine. It has also been used traditionally in food and drink products.
Rose water contains a number of powerful antioxidants, and it has antiseptic, antibacterial, antiaging and anti-inflammatory properties.
You can purchase rose water or make your own rose water at home.
Here are the top 10 benefits of rose water for skin, hair and health.
1. Excellent Toner for Dry Skin
Rose water is a good toner, especially for dry skin. It can help reduce dryness and keeps the skin well-moisturized.
Also, it helps restore the skin’s pH to keep it looking young and fresh.
- Put 2 tablespoons of rose water in a spray bottle.
- Add 1 teaspoon of glycerin to it.
- Shake the bottle so that the ingredients mix together thoroughly.
- Lightly spray the toner on your face, before applying a moisturizer.
- Use once daily.
You can keep the remaining solution refrigerated for up to 10 days.
2. Soothes Skin Irritation
Whether you have skin irritation due to eczema, dermatitis or rosacea, rose water can provide instant relief.
Rose water has anti-inflammatory as well as soothing properties that help soothe any kind of skin irritation and redness.
It also works as a great cleanser to remove accumulated oil and dirt that are clogging your pores.
- Put a little rose water on a cotton ball and dab it on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash your skin.
- Do this once daily.
3. Treats Acne
You can use rose water to treat acne as well. It helps cleanse the pores, controls excess oil and even prevents acne breakouts. Also, it aids in healing acne scars.
Rose water helps maintain the skin’s pH balance, which is important for preventing acne.
- For daily use, mix together 1 tablespoon each of rose water and lemon juice. Apply it on the affected area and allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Wash it off with fresh water. Do it once daily.
- For weekly use, add enough rose water to 1 tablespoon of green clay powder to make a paste. Apply it to your face, allow it to dry and then rinse it off with water. Use this mask once a week to enjoy acne-free skin.
4. Heals Cracked Heels
While rose water alone cannot heal cracked heels, the classic combination of rose water and glycerin works as an effective home treatment for cracked heels.
The glycerin softens the skin, and the rose water provides vitamins A, B3, C, D and E as well as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties to the skin.
- Thoroughly mix together equal amounts of rose water and glycerin.
- Rub it on your heels and feet daily before going to bed at night.
- The next morning, wash your feet with lukewarm water.
- Repeat as needed.
5. Makes Lips Soft and Pink
You no longer have to hide your stained lips under the cover of lipstick. You can use rose water to make your lips soft and pink like a rose flower.
- Apply rose water on your lips each day before going to bed.
- For an added bit of color, cut a beetroot into small pieces and let it dry out in the sun. Grind the dry pieces into a fine powder. Mix a pinch of this powder with enough rose water to form a paste. Apply it on your lips. After 10 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily.
6. Natural Makeup Remover
Leaving your makeup on for too long can cause huge damage to your skin. Instead of investing in expensive makeup removers, you can use rose water.
It is a great natural makeup remover for all skin types. Also, it helps cleanse your skin to keep it healthy and glowing.
- Dip a cotton ball in pure rose water.
- Use it to gently wipe your face to remove all your makeup. If needed, use additional cotton balls dipped in rose water.
- Use this natural makeup remover every day before going to bed.