9. Benefits the Kidneys
Activated charcoal use can help prevent cellular damage to the kidneys as well as support healthy kidney functioning. This is mainly because activated charcoal helps cleanse toxins and chemicals from the body, which can otherwise cause damage to several organs including the kidneys.
A 2010 study published in the Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation shows that a combination of oral activated charcoal a low-protein diet may effectively help control uremic symptoms in older people suffering from end-stage renal disease. Charcoal use lead to a significant decrease in blood urea and creatinine levels, and none of the patients required emergency dialysis during this time.
Another 2009 study in mice by the American Society of Nephrology showed promising results regarding the use of activated charcoal in kidney patients. It found that charcoal may help manage the high rate of heart disease in patients with advanced kidney disease. However, more research is needed in this field to come to an accurate conclusion.
10. Treats Gout
Activated charcoal is also effective in treatment of gout as it can help absorb uric acid. A high uric acid level is one of the common causes of gout, which causes a lot of pain in the joints.
- Mix ½ cup of activated charcoal powder with enough water to make a paste.
- Pour this paste into a bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Soak in this soothing bathwater for at least 30 minutes.
- Finally, take a warm shower.
- Enjoy this charcoal bath 2 or 3 times a week.
You can also take activated charcoal capsules orally but only after consulting your doctor.
- Whenever you take activated charcoal, it’s very important to drink an ample amount of water throughout the day because it can cause dehydration.
- Do not take activated charcoal at least within an hour of eating a meal.
- Do not take any other supplements or medicines within a couple of hours of taking activated charcoal.
- Avoid activated charcoal products that contain the sweetener sorbitol, as it can lead to severe diarrhea and vomiting.
- Consult a qualified medical professional before using activated charcoal to treat health conditions.