If there is one natural ingredient that you should have in your beauty cabinet, it is definitely neem. Also known as Indian lilac, neem has immense benefits for your skin and hair.
Both the neem leaves and its oil contain a bunch of active compounds that offer anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Several beauty products like soaps, bath powders, shampoos, lotions and creams contain neem as one of the main ingredients.
Whether it is acne, wrinkles, blackheads, fine lines, dandruff, hair loss or uneven skin tone – look no further, neem can solve these beauty problems easily and naturally.
Here are the top 10 beauty benefits of neem for your skin and hair.
Note: When applying neem oil, always do a patch test before using neem oil on skin. At times, it can cause skin irritation.
1. Combats Dandruff
Neem has effective antifungal properties that help fight dandruff.
Along with fighting the fungal infection, it is effective at reducing any inflammation of the scalp caused by scratching. It also relieves dryness and itching, two common symptoms of dandruff.
A 2010 study published in the International Scientific Research Journal reports that antifungal extracts can be taken from neem leaves extracts and used in the treatment of dandruff.
You can use any of the following home remedies 2 or 3 times a week until your dandruff is gone.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 to 5 cups of water until the water becomes green. Strain and allow the neem-infused water to cool. Use this solution as a final rinse after shampooing your hair.
- Mix 3 to 4 tablespoons of neem powder and sufficient water to make a paste. Apply it on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes, then shampoo your hair as usual.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of organic, cold-pressed neem oil in 2 tablespoons of warm extra-virgin olive oil and massage it gently into your scalp. Wash it off after 30 minutes.
2. Treats Acne
Neem has diverse therapeutic properties, such as anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial, which help in the treatment of acne. It not only kills the bacteria causing the breakout but also reduces the inflammation associated with acne and pimples.
Plus, it helps alleviate the pain and itching associated with acne.
- For daily treatment, mix 10 drops of organic, cold-pressed neem oil in 1 teaspoon of warm coconut oil. Apply it gently on the affected area and let it sit for 1 hour. Then, rinse it off using lukewarm water. Do this once daily.
- For a weekly treatment, boil equal amounts of neem leaves and orange peel in water. When soft, remove them and grind them into a paste. Add a little honey and lemon juice to the paste and mix thoroughly. Apply this pack on your face, allow it to dry and then wash it off. Use this pack once or twice a week to keep your skin acne-free.
3. Shrinks Large Pores
Neem also provides an effective remedy for tackling problems like large pores as well as blackheads and whiteheads.
It works as an excellent exfoliating agent that helps pull out impurities and tighten pores.
- For daily use, 2 drops each of of neem oil and plain water on a cotton ball. Wipe your face with it before going to bed. Leave it on overnight and rinse it off using lukewarm water the next morning.
- For a weekly facial mask, mix 2 teaspoons of neem powder with a little water to form a paste. Mix in a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply it on your face, allow it to dry and then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
4. Soothes Dry Skin and Eczema
Eczema, a common inflammatory skin condition that causes extremely irritated, dry, red and itchy skin, can also be treated with neem.
Neem can help reduce the inflammation and heal the abrasions. It also prevents moisture loss from the skin and restores the protective barrier.
You can choose either of the following remedies to use once or twice a week.
- Dilute a few drops of neem oil with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Optionally, add a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area.
- Allow it to dry on its own and then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
5. Evens Out Skin Tone
Neem is also great for treating uneven skin tone.
The antioxidants in it are extremely beneficial for reducing melanin production and making the skin tone even. It also reduces dark spots and blemishes. Its anti-inflammatory property helps get rid of any redness as well as swelling.
Plus, it helps open up clogged pores and deeply cleanse them to give you an even skin tone.
- Grind 10 to 12 neem leaves to make a paste.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of turmeric powder and mix thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture as a facial pack.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes, then wash it off with water.
- Use this pack daily and you can see results in 2 weeks.
6. Backents Skin Infections
Neem contains antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties that make it quite effective for treating skin infections, such as ringworm, tinea cruris and others.
It also soothes irritation and reduces inflammation without drying the skin.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in water until they turn soft. Strain out the leaves and add the neem-infused water to your bath water. Taking a bath with this water a few times a week will help keep skin infections in check.
- Also, massage your skin with a mixture of two tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of neem oil. Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
7. Soothes Sunburned Skin
Neem can also counteract the ill effects of sun exposure, which causes huge damage to the skin besides painful inflammation.
It has soothing properties that help the skin retain its natural moisture and reduce irritation. Also, its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties help disinfect the affected skin and treat the inflammation.
You can use either of the following remedies 2 or 3 times a day until your skin has healed.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of neem leaf juice and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply it on the affected area and allow it to dry. Then, rinse it off with warm water.
- Dilute a few drops of neem oil in a carrier oil like olive, coconut or sweet almond oil. Apply the oil blend on the affected skin and allow it to dry. Rinse it off after a few hours.
8. Fights Premature Aging Signs
Neem is loaded with nutrients that are highly beneficial for the skin. In particular, it contains extraordinarily high levels of antioxidants that help protect the skin from environmental damage.
It also helps rejuvenate the skin’s cells and restore elasticity, which is important for keeping your skin healthy and youthful.
- Mix a few drops of neem oil in 2 teaspoons of jojoba oil. Gently massage the oil blend onto your face and neck every night before going to bed. The next morning, rinse your face well with lukewarm water. Do it daily.
- Alternatively, put a handful of neem leaves into 2 cups of water. Boil it until the water reduces by half, then strain out the leaves. Use the neem-infused water to wash your face twice daily.
9. Treats Scalp Infections and Improves Hair Health
Neem also helps promote hair growth and conditions your hair. It will moisturize your hair, and add bounce and luster to dull hair.
The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of neem also come in handy when dealing with scalp infections.
- Warm up a few tablespoons of olive oil and add 1 or 2 teaspoons of neem oil in it.
- Massage the oil blend onto your hair roots using circular motions.
- Leave it on for 1 hour before shampooing your hair.
- Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
10. Fades Dark Eye Circles
Dark circles under the eyes, a beauty concern for many, can be reduced with the help of neem.
The antioxidants in it help reduce the skin pigmentation, thus reducing the dark skin under the eyes. Plus, it help moisturize the delicate skin under your eyes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of neem powder and enough water to make a paste. Apply it around the eyes. Wash it off after 15 minutes. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, massage the soft skin around your eyes with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of neem oil and ½ teaspoon of olive oil. Do this 2 or 3 times a week.