Argan oil, also known as liquid gold, is produced from the nuts of the argan tree, found in a small region of Morocco. In the past, it was mainly used by the Berber women of Morocco, but now it is popular worldwide.
This liquid gold is most often used for its beauty benefits for skin and hair. Many beauty products have argan oil as one of the main ingredients.
Medicinally, regular intake of this oil helps prevent various cancers, cardiovascular disease and obesity. It can be enjoyed as a side dip or for making tasty, healthy salad dressings.
Its beauty benefits come from the vitamins A and E that this oil has in abundance. It is also packed with antioxidants, linoleic acid and various minerals that promote healthy hair and skin.
Instead of buying luxury hair and skin care products, get a bottle of argan oil and add it to your beauty routine. It is a bit expensive, but your beauty is definitely worth the investment.
Here are the top 10 amazing benefits of argan oil for skin and hair.
1. Nourishes Dry Skin
The best beauty benefit of argan oil is its ability to keep the skin moisturized and hydrated. The fatty acids in it easily penetrate deep into the skin to make up for any loss of moisture.
In addition, it is non-greasy and non-irritating, which makes it a great natural moisturizer for all skin types. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, argan oil is also beneficial for conditions like eczema and psoriasis that lead to dry, rough skin.
- After taking a bath or shower, simply rub a few drops of warm argan oil into your skin using gentle motions. You can also use it as a night moisturizer to make your skin soft and smooth.
- To make a hydrating mask, mix a few drops of argan oil with 3 teaspoons of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply it on your face and leave it on for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water. Use this mask once a week.
2. Eases Oily Skin Discomforts
People who have oily skin often suffer from whiteheads, blackheads, blind pimples and other skin irritations, mainly due to accumulation of excess oil on the outer skin layer.
The chemical composition of argan oil is similar to that of the natural sebum on the skin. Thus, it tricks the skin into believing that it already has enough oil and helps slow the production of sebum. You can use argan oil to control the production of excess oil from the sebaceous glands.
A 2007 study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology showed that a sebum control cream containing polyphenol-rich extract from saw palmetto, sesame seeds and argan oil helped reduce greasiness and improve the appearance of oily facial skin.
After washing and pat drying your face, rub a few drops of argan oil on your skin. Do this twice daily to reduce the oily sheen on your skin and shrink large pores.
3. Lightens Ugly Stretch Marks
You can lighten stretch marks with regular use of this liquid gold. The vitamin E in it protects the collagen fibers in your skin from free-radical damage. This helps improve skin elasticity and keeps the skin moisturized.
- Gently rub some drops of warm argan oil on your stretch marks.
- Massage for 5 to 10 minutes, wait 30 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this daily for a few months until the marks fade.
You can even rub this oil on your breasts, stomach, bottom and thighs during pregnancy to help prevent unsightly stretch marks.
4. Fights Acne and Its Scars
If you suffer from acne, argan oil can help get rid of it. Its antioxidant property helps heal damaged skin cells, while the high linoleic acid content reduces inflammation caused by acne.
In addition, its non-greasy texture keeps the skin moisturized in a balanced manner and also fades scars.
- Lightly dab some argan oil onto problem areas. Wait 30 minutes, then wipe off the oil with a tissue. Repeat twice daily.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of argan oil and tea tree oil. Apply it on the affected areas. Wait 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Use this treatment twice daily until the acne and its scars are gone completely.
5. Reduces Premature Aging Signs
The fatty acids in argan oil fight free radicals and improve skin elasticity, which in turn prevents premature aging signs like wrinkles, age spots, fine lines and saggy skin.
The antioxidants in it also help reverse aging signs and keep your skin looking young for years. It even protects the skin from oxidative damage from environmental pollution and ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun.
- To enjoy the anti-aging benefits of argan oil, simply massage a few drops into your face and neck for 5 minutes daily before going to bed.
- Also, include argan oil in your diet.
6. Promotes Hair Growth
Argan oil can also help stop hair loss and promote new hair growth. This liquid gold contains vitamin E and healthy fats that are essential for providing nourishment to the hair follicles. It even helps keep the scalp clean, removes dandruff and livens up dull hair.
- Before going to bed, dampen your hair and apply a few drops of warm argan oil.
- Massage your scalp using circular motions for about 10 minutes.
- Leave it on overnight and shampoo your hair the next morning.
- Use this treatment 2 or 3 times a week.