9. Controls Diabetes
This fruit is even beneficial for people who have diabetes or other metabolic disorders. It can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce the risk of health complications associated with diabetes.
A 2013 study published in Nutrition Research found that pomegranate juice has unique antioxidant polyphenols (tannins and anthocyanins) that help control Type 2 diabetes.
However, more controlled, clinical studies are needed before medically recommending it for the management of Type 2 diabetes.
10. Boosts Fertility
Pomegranates are highly beneficial for women who are trying to become pregnant, as it boosts fertility. It also increases blood flow to the uterus and thickens the uterine lining, which helps reduce the risk of miscarriage.
A 2015 study published in Pharmacognosy Magazine reports that pomegranate extract could be used as a supplement to enhance longevity, fertility and growth rate.
The study, however, emphasizes the need for careful adjustment of dosage to avoid adverse effects.
The fruit also has many nutrients, including vitamins C and K as well as folic acid, that promote healthy development of the fetus.
It can also lower your stress level, which is important for fertility as well as overall health.
- Make pomegranate seeds and bark powder and mix them in equal amounts. Keep this mixture in an airtight container and take ½ teaspoon of it with a glass of warm water twice daily for a couple of weeks.
- Drink 1 cup of freshly extracted pomegranate juice daily to increase your chances of getting pregnant.
- You can store whole pomegranates at room temperature for about a week.
- If you store them in the refrigerator, wrap them in plastic.
- Fresh pomegranate seeds can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
- If you notice signs of a food allergy after eating pomegranate seeds, stop consuming them and see your doctor.
- Pomegranate juice may interact with certain prescription medications, such as blood thinners and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors. So, always consult a doctor if taking these medications.
- Before choosing any pomegranate extract supplement, always consult a doctor.