Avocado is among the top items on the list of the healthiest natural ingredients on the planet. It helps lower cholesterol, regulates blood pressure, fights obesity and guards against stroke and heart disease.
This pear-shaped fruit also scores high when it comes to skin and hair benefits. In fact, many natural skin care products contain its oil.
Avocado is a rich source of protein, potassium, vitamins E, A, K, B6 and C, fiber, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and copper.
It also contains monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids. Thus, it has excellent moisturizing and antioxidant properties.
You can eat as well as apply this luscious green fruit to enhance your beauty. The healthy fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants can improve your skin from the inside out.
Here are the top 10 beauty benefits of avocado.
1. Nourishes Dry Skin
Avocado helps soften and hydrate dry skin. Its fatty acids easily penetrate deep into the skin to make up for any loss of moisture. In addition, it’s suitable for all skin types.
- Mash 1 to 2 ripe avocados with a fork until you have a smooth texture.
- Mix in a little honey to make a face mask.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
Eating avocados regularly also helps keep your skin supple and glowing.
2. Treats Dry and Damaged Hair
If you have dry and damaged hair, try avocado to restore its beauty and health. The healthy fats, vitamins and protein in avocado help moisturize dry hair shafts and stimulate hair growth. It even helps soothe frizzy and unruly hair.
- Scoop out the pulp of a ripe avocado and mash or blend it thoroughly to get a smooth consistency.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of wheat-germ oil and jojoba oil into the paste.
- Apply it on your damp hair, from the roots to the ends.
- Put on a shower cap for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy once or twice a week.
3. Slows the Aging Process
Avocado contains an unbelievable amount of antioxidants as well as potent anti-aging properties that can reverse aging and keep you looking young for years.
It improves the production of collagen, which maintains your skin’s elasticity and firmness. It even accelerates new cell generation and promotes circulation in the body.
According to a 2012 study published in the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology journal, consuming avocado bolsters cells’ power centers against harmful free radicals.
- Use avocado oil to massage your body a few times a week.
- Also, include avocado in your diet.
4. Fades Scars and Spots
Avocado helps get rid of scars and spots that may appear on your skin due to acne, pimples, eczema, minor burns, cuts, or scrapes.
The vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids in it help repair damaged tissue and improve the appearance of scars. It even accelerates the healing time and prevents new scars from forming.
- Blend ½ ripe avocado (peeled), the juice of ½ lemon and the contents of a couple of vitamin E capsules in a blender until you get a smooth paste.
- Rinse the affected skin with warm water and pat dry.
- Massage the avocado mixture onto the affected area.
- Allow it to dry completely, then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use it 3 or 4 times a week to get clear, flawless skin.
5. Improves Skin Complexion
Avocado can also help improve your complexion. Its fatty acids, vitamin C and oleic acid help reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation.
In addition, its antioxidant properties help protect the skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) sunrays, thus preventing sunburn.
- Blend 1 or 2 ripe avocados in a blender. You can also mix a little lemon juice and honey in it.
- Massage the mixture on your face, neck, hands and legs.
- Allow it to dry, then rinse it off with cold water.
- Do this a few times a week to improve skin tone.
6. Reduces Wrinkles
Avocado has monounsaturated fatty acids that can help reduce wrinkles as well as crow’s feet. The vitamin E and amino acids in it also boost the production of collagen, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Mash a ripe avocado with a fork to get a fine paste.
- Mix in 1 to 2 teaspoons of sweet almond oil.
- Spread the paste thoroughly on the affected areas.
- Allow it to sit for 20 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this once daily to fight wrinkles.
7. Softens Rough Hands
Hands are one of the most neglected parts of the body, hence they often become rough and dry. Avocado is a great ingredient to pamper dry hands.
Its vitamins and monounsaturated fats can make your hands soft and moisturized. It can even help get rid of sagging skin.
- Make a paste by mashing ½ to 1 ripe avocado and mixing in 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply the paste on your hands, allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water. Do this a few times a week.
- Before going to bed, massage your hands with avocado oil for 5 minutes daily.
8. Cures Hangnails
Hangnails, the small bits of skin that hang off the cuticles of your nails, are quite annoying as they cause pain and discomfort.
You can fight this pain and reduce the risk of infection with avocado. Its vitamin E and other healthy fats help heal the dry and damaged skin around your nails.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of avocado pulp with a little olive or coconut oil.
- Apply it on the hangnails.
- Leave it overnight or for at least a couple of hours, then rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Do this daily until you get rid of the hangnails.
9. Treats Dry and Cracked Heels
Avocado is rich in several essential vitamins and fats that can help treat cracked heels. As it is a good moisturizer, it helps restore soft and smooth skin.
- Soak your feet in soapy water for 10 minutes, then scrub your feet with a pumice stone to remove the thick and dead skin cells.
- Wash your feet and dry them thoroughly.
- Apply mashed avocado pulp on your heels and soles.
- Leave it on for at least 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Use this simple remedy on a daily basis until the cracks on your heels are gone.
10. Promotes Hair Growth
Avocado is a highly effective remedy to promote hair growth and prevent hair loss. It is loaded with protein, essential fatty acids, folic acid, magnesium and several vitamins that nourish your hair and stimulate growth. It also has hair-softening properties.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and 2 or 3 drops of rosemary essential oil. Apply it on your hair and massage the scalp with your fingertips for 5 to 10 minutes. Leave it on for 30 minutes, then shampoo your hair as usual. Use this hair growth remedy 2 or 3 times a week.
- Alternatively, prepare a hair mask with 1 mashed ripe avocado, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon each of jojoba oil and yogurt. Apply it on your damp hair, wear a shower cap for at least 1 hour and then rinse it out with lukewarm water. Use this hair mask once or twice a week.