Avocado is among the top items on the list of the healthiest natural ingredients on the planet. It helps lower cholesterol, regulates blood pressure, fights obesity and guards against stroke and heart disease.
This pear-shaped fruit also scores high when it comes to skin and hair benefits. In fact, many natural skin care products contain its oil.
Avocado is a rich source of protein, potassium, vitamins E, A, K, B6 and C, fiber, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and copper.
It also contains monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids. Thus, it has excellent moisturizing and antioxidant properties.
You can eat as well as apply this luscious green fruit to enhance your beauty. The healthy fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants can improve your skin from the inside out.
Here are the top 10 beauty benefits of avocado.
1. Nourishes Dry Skin
Avocado helps soften and hydrate dry skin. Its fatty acids easily penetrate deep into the skin to make up for any loss of moisture. In addition, it’s suitable for all skin types.
- Mash 1 to 2 ripe avocados with a fork until you have a smooth texture.
- Mix in a little honey to make a face mask.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
Eating avocados regularly also helps keep your skin supple and glowing.
2. Treats Dry and Damaged Hair
If you have dry and damaged hair, try avocado to restore its beauty and health. The healthy fats, vitamins and protein in avocado help moisturize dry hair shafts and stimulate hair growth. It even helps soothe frizzy and unruly hair.
- Scoop out the pulp of a ripe avocado and mash or blend it thoroughly to get a smooth consistency.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of wheat-germ oil and jojoba oil into the paste.
- Apply it on your damp hair, from the roots to the ends.
- Put on a shower cap for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy once or twice a week.
3. Slows the Aging Process
Avocado contains an unbelievable amount of antioxidants as well as potent anti-aging properties that can reverse aging and keep you looking young for years.
It improves the production of collagen, which maintains your skin’s elasticity and firmness. It even accelerates new cell generation and promotes circulation in the body.
According to a 2012 study published in the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology journal, consuming avocado bolsters cells’ power centers against harmful free radicals.
- Use avocado oil to massage your body a few times a week.
- Also, include avocado in your diet.
4. Fades Scars and Spots
Avocado helps get rid of scars and spots that may appear on your skin due to acne, pimples, eczema, minor burns, cuts, or scrapes.
The vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids in it help repair damaged tissue and improve the appearance of scars. It even accelerates the healing time and prevents new scars from forming.
- Blend ½ ripe avocado (peeled), the juice of ½ lemon and the contents of a couple of vitamin E capsules in a blender until you get a smooth paste.
- Rinse the affected skin with warm water and pat dry.
- Massage the avocado mixture onto the affected area.
- Allow it to dry completely, then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use it 3 or 4 times a week to get clear, flawless skin.
5. Improves Skin Complexion
Avocado can also help improve your complexion. Its fatty acids, vitamin C and oleic acid help reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation.
In addition, its antioxidant properties help protect the skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) sunrays, thus preventing sunburn.
- Blend 1 or 2 ripe avocados in a blender. You can also mix a little lemon juice and honey in it.
- Massage the mixture on your face, neck, hands and legs.
- Allow it to dry, then rinse it off with cold water.
- Do this a few times a week to improve skin tone.
6. Reduces Wrinkles
Avocado has monounsaturated fatty acids that can help reduce wrinkles as well as crow’s feet. The vitamin E and amino acids in it also boost the production of collagen, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Mash a ripe avocado with a fork to get a fine paste.
- Mix in 1 to 2 teaspoons of sweet almond oil.
- Spread the paste thoroughly on the affected areas.
- Allow it to sit for 20 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this once daily to fight wrinkles.