People love their eggs! In the United States, egg production totaled a whopping 7.67 billion in just one month, according to the American Egg Board .
Eggs are a nutrient-dense food, containing varying amounts of 13 essential vitamins and minerals – all for only 70 calories.
They also contain important nutrients like vitamin D, phosphorus, riboflavin and selenium, along with all nine essential amino acids. Moreover, they are an affordable source of high-quality protein.
Apart from being a staple breakfast item, eggs can also be used in your beauty regimen. When it comes to beauty purposes, both the egg whites and the yolks can be used to get clear skin and beautiful, strong hair.
Here are the top 10 ways to use eggs for beauty purposes.
1. Encourages Hair Growth
Whether you suffer from hair loss or thinning hair, egg hair masks are very beneficial.
Hair is mostly made up of protein, and eggs are packed with protein that your hair needs to remain healthy and strong. Also, eggs contain iron, sulfur, phosphorus, zinc and selenium that are beneficial for your hair.
- Beat 2 egg yolks. Add 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and mix thoroughly. Apply the mixture all over your scalp. Leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash it out with cold water, then shampoo your hair.
- Alternatively, whisk 1 egg and then add 1 cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and the juice from half a lemon to it. Apply it on your scalp. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing it out and shampooing your hair.
You can use either of these egg hair masks 2 or 3 times a month to encourage healthy hair growth.
2. Repairs Damaged Hair
Everyday pollution, exposure to sunrays, poor diet, swimming in chlorinated water, excessive styling and use of heat-styling tools can take a toll on your hair and leave it dry and damaged.
To restore the health of your hair, regular use of an egg hair mask can help a lot.
Eggs provide nutrients and nourishment that have been depleted from damaged hair. The good amount of protein, minerals and essential fatty acids in eggs can nourish the hair strands and impart a natural shine.
- Mash 1 ripe banana, then add 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw, organic honey and 1½ tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and mix again.
- Apply the mask thoroughly on your hair and scalp.
- Put on a shower cap, and leave the mask on for 1 hour before rinsing it out with water.
- Finally, wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Use the mask once a week.
3. Works as a Peel-off Mask
You can use egg whites to make a homemade peel-off mask to improve your skin health.
This peel-off mask exfoliates the skin by removing the dead cells from the skin’s outermost layer and also rejuvenates the skin by clearing out any impurities.
Egg whites also help shrink large skin pores, which in turn helps prevent blackheads, whiteheads and acne breakouts.
- Whisk the whites from 1 egg until you get a foamy texture.
- Optionally, add a little honey and olive oil to the mixture.
- Apply 1 or 2 coats of the egg white mixture on your face.
- Cover the egg mask with small pieces of tissue.
- Apply 1 or 2 more layers of egg whites and tissue. Finish with a layer of the whisked egg whites.
- Allow the mask to dry completely.
- Gently peel off the mask.
- Rinse your skin with lukewarm water, pat it dry and apply a light moisturizer.
- Do it once a week.
4. Tightens Saggy Skin
Loose and saggy skin can make you look older than your age, whereas firm skin adds an extra spark to your beauty.
To keep your skin firm and tight, use egg whites. Being a natural astringent, they help keep your skin firm. Also, the skin-nourishing hydro-lipids in egg whites help lift loose skin.
- Whisk the whites from 1 or 2 eggs until you get a foamy texture.
- Apply it on your face, neck and any other saggy areas.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Do it once a week.
5. Clears Up Acne
Acne is a common skin condition that usually affects teenagers and young adults. It occurs when the sebaceous glands of the skin secrete excess sebum, and the skin turns oily. Oily skin easily traps dirt and other impurities, which can clog the pores and lead to acne breakouts.
To cure acne, egg whites are very beneficial.
Egg whites help absorb excess oil from your skin, tighten your skin and shrink the pores. They help treat acne as well as fade acne scars and blemishes.
- Simply whisk the whites from 1 egg and spread it on your face.
- Cover the egg mask with tissue.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Gently remove the tissue and wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Apply a light moisturizer.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
6. Tames Frizzy Hair
It is very difficult to manage frizzy hair. But now with eggs, you can easily tame the frizzies.
Being rich in fats and protein, egg yolk works as a natural conditioner for your hair. Also, the enzymes in egg whites help kill bacteria and remove unwanted oil from the scalp.
- Whisk 1 or 2 eggs thoroughly. The quantity of eggs depends upon the length of your hair.
- Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of olive oil and mix well.
- Apply it thoroughly on your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it out and wash your hair thoroughly. Use a rich nourishing shampoo and conditioner.
- Do it once a week.
7. Nourishes and Hydrates Skin
Well-nourished and hydrated skin looks beautiful.
Now, you can use eggs to easily prepare a nourishing, soothing and hydrating face mask. It will moisturize your skin and leave it feeling fresh and soft to the touch.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of mashed ripe avocado, 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of plain or Greek yogurt.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck area.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes or until it dries.
- Rinse the mask off with warm water, and pat your skin dry with a towel.
- Finally, apply a light moisturizer.
- Repeat once a week.
8. Removes Unwanted Facial Hair
Visible facial hair on your lipline or cheeks can be embarrassing. But with the use of egg whites, you can easily and comfortably get rid of unwanted facial hair.
As the egg white dries, it turns into a hard, sticky mass that works as a peel-off mask to get rid of unwanted hair.
However, the trick only works on fine hair, not thick hair.
- Combine the whites from 1 egg, ½ tablespoon of chickpea flour and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Whisk the ingredients well to form a smooth paste.
- Apply it on your face where you have fine hair.
- Allow it to sit for 20 minutes.
- Gently peel off the mask in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Rinse the area with cool water, pat it dry and apply a light moisturizer.
- Use this treatment as needed.
9. Conditions Hair
When you have eggs in your kitchen, there is no need to buy expensive conditioners for your hair.
Eggs work as a great hair conditioner. While the egg whites help balance the level of sebum on your hair and scalp, the yolks are packed with protein that strengthens your hair.
- Whisk up 1 egg.
- Thoroughly apply it on your damp hair.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat once every two weeks.
10. Reduces Under-Eye Puffiness
You can use egg whites for treating under-eye bags or puffiness. Being a natural astringent, egg whites help firm up and lift the skin, which helps take away the puffiness under the eyes to a great extent.
- Slightly whip the whites from 1 egg.
- Apply a thin coating of it under the eye area.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with plain water.
- Do this not more than once daily.
- About The U.S. Egg Industry. Industry Overview – American Egg Board. http://www.aeb.org/farmers-and-marketers/industry-overview.