If you like to dip your snacks in a bright yellow condiment, then you might be familiar with yellow mustard. The condiment is also popularly used in hotdogs and hamburgers.
Apart from the sauce, yellow mustard seeds and greens are used for culinary purposes in different parts of the world.
Yellow mustard is very versatile in nature. It’s available as a sauce or in oil, seed or powdered form, all of which offer excellent health benefits.
Its health benefits come from its nutritional profile. It is a good source of protein, fiber, vitamin C and many of the B-complex vitamins. It is particularly rich in several minerals like potassium, phosphorous, calcium and magnesium that are important for good health. In fact, you can also use it to induce vomiting after accidentally swallowing harmful toxins or poison.
If you are not aware of the health benefits of yellow mustard, it’s time for you to learn what it has to offer. Whether you consume it in the form of seeds, whole or ground, or as a sauce, you will definitely be able to reap the benefits of mustard.
Here are the top 10 health benefits of yellow mustard.
1. Relieves Muscle Spasms
You can use yellow mustard to get quick relief from any kind of muscle spasm, be it on the back or shoulder. It has a stimulating action on the nerves in the mouth, which in turn influences the nerves causing the spasm.
It is also a good source of potassium and calcium, two important nutrients required for maintaining strong bones, joints and muscles.
- Eat 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard paste, then drink a glass of water.
- Repeat once daily until the spasm goes away.
2. Cures Body Aches
You can use mustard oil made from yellow mustard seeds to relieve any kind of pain, including arthritis pain.
Mustard oil works against pain receptors in the body, which means it can effectively block pain signals.
- Warm up some mustard oil and use it to massage the painful area for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Do this 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can also make a poultice from mustard seeds and apply it on the affected area. Always use a thin towel between your skin and the poultice to prevent burns.
3. Reduces Asthma Attacks
For immediate relief from an asthma attack, mustard oil is one of the best treatments that you can try at home. The oil contains several compounds that have been found to inhibit inflammation as well as infections in the body.
Yellow mustard seed oil can help open the air passageways, improving lung functioning and making breathing easier.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of mustard oil with a little camphor. Allow it to cool down, then use it to gently rub and massage the chest and upper back. Repeat 2 or 3 times daily to help relieve asthma symptoms.
- Also, use organic mustard seeds or oil in your cooking as much as possible.
4. Fights Bad Breath
Yellow mustard is a simple yet effective natural ingredient to get rid of bad breath as well as alcohol breath. The strong aroma of mustard sauce will mask the bad odor coming from your mouth.
- Put 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard sauce in your mouth.
- Swish it around for 1 minute, then spit it out.
- Go, swallow 1 teaspoon of mustard sauce.
- Finally, rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
- Use this remedy as needed.
5. Benefits Heart Health
Both the yellow mustard greens and the oil can be used to improve your heart health.
Being rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, mustard oil can help balance your cholesterol levels. It reduces the low-density lipoprotein (LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol) level and increases the high-density lipoprotein (HDL or ‘good’ cholesterol) level in the body, thereby reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease.
Also, the leaves of the mustard plant have tremendous cholesterol-lowering power. It can bind bile acids in the digestive tract, which facilitate easy excretion of the acids from the body.
You can get these benefits just by using pure mustard oil for cooking and adding the greens to salads, soups and stir-fries.
6. Soothes Colds and Coughs
Owing to its pungent nature, mustard oil is a good remedy for a cold or cough. Being warm in nature, it helps clear up nasal as well as chest congestion.
With its high manganese and iron content, consuming mustard greens and sauce can help strengthen your immune system and prepare you for the cold and flu season.
- Boil a few cloves of garlic into mustard oil and allow it to cool. Strain and use the oil to massage your chest, back, the soles of your feet and your palms. Do it 2 or 3 times a day.
- Also,to clear phlegm buildup in the respiratory tract, add 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds and 2 to 3 teaspoons of mustard oil to a pot of boiling water and inhale the steam.