In Ayurvedic medicine, honey and cinnamon are used extensively. Both these ingredients have powerful medicinal properties and, when combined together, they ensure good health of the mind and the body.
Honey is made up of glucose, fructose and minerals, such as iron, calcium, phosphate, chlorine, potassium, and magnesium. It also has vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6. Plus, it has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial and healing properties.
Cinnamon is an exceptional source of antioxidants. It also contains vitamins A, E, D and K. Plus, it has potent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
It is the medicinal properties of these two superfoods that create such a powerful effect on the body. They work together as a natural cure for many diseases and a formula for many health benefits.
Plus, honey and cinnamon taste great together!
Here are the top 10 amazing health benefits of honey and cinnamon.
1. Treats Arthritis
Arthritis can cause a lot of pain in the joints and affect a person’s mobility. You can use honey and cinnamon to get relief from arthritis. They help maintain bone health and relieve joint pain.
Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help reduce swelling, redness and stiffness in the affected joints. Honey adds a boost of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- For consumption, mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of warm water. Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
- For topical use, mix equal parts of cinnamon powder and honey. Apply the mixture to the affected area. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes, then rinse it off using lukewarm water. Do it twice daily.
Note: You can avoid the topical application if cinnamon burns your skin.
2. Boosts Immunity
The tasty combination of honey and cinnamon is also effective at boosting the immune system.
Both ingredients have antibacterial and antiviral properties that help the body fight and kill harmful bacteria and viruses. Also, the antioxidants found in both honey and cinnamon help combat free radicals in the body.
Mix ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder in 1 tablespoon of organic honey. Consume it twice daily. If you want, you can mix them in a glass of lukewarm water with the juice of 1 lemon and then drink it.
This simple trick will keep your immune system strong and prevent common illnesses, such as a cold and influenza, from taking a toll on your health.
3. Combats Acne
Both honey and cinnamon help treat skin conditions like acne, due to their antimicrobial properties.
Also, their anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce acne symptoms and prevent infections. Plus, honey keeps your skin moisturized and prevents clogged pores, one of the causes of acne.
- Thoroughly mix 1 teaspoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Apply it on the acne-affected area.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat once or twice a day.
4. Improves Sleep
Honey and cinnamon also work together to treat sleep-related problems.
The anti-inflammatory properties of both ingredients help reduce swelling around the throat area that can obstruct airways and cause sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is one of the causes behind disturbed sleep. Also, they help with weight loss, an important step in the treatment of sleep apnea.
Moreover, both cinnamon and honey have sedative properties that can help you sleep better.
- Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder in a cup of hot water or simply steep 2 inches of cinnamon stick in hot water for 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of honey and drink it daily before going to bed.
- Also, you can drink a glass of warm milk with a little honey and cinnamon powder daily before going to bed.
5. Aids Weight Loss
While honey and cinnamon are not magic bullets for weight loss, when used in conjunction with a proper diet and exercise, they can help you lose weight more rapidly.
The antioxidants in honey can help reduce weight gain and adiposity, while cinnamon regulates eating habits by eliminating food cravings, which is important when trying to lose weight. Plus, cinnamon gives a boost to your metabolism to aid in weight loss.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of raw, organic honey to it.
- Drink it twice daily, once in the morning and again in the evening.
6. Improves Heart Health
Honey and cinnamon can play a key role in improving your heart health.
Honey contains a good amount of antioxidants that help prevent narrowing arteries. Due to its various anti-inflammatory properties, cinnamon is very effective in protecting the heart and surrounding arteries from damage.
Both these ingredients also stimulate circulation and aid in reducing cholesterol levels. A high cholesterol level can lead to atherosclerosis or plaque buildup in the arteries, which can increase the chances of a clot, ultimately resulting in a heart attack or a stroke.
- To help protect your heart health, simply spread some honey on your toast and sprinkle a bit of cinnamon powder on it. Enjoy it with your breakfast.