The skin on your face is the thinnest of the whole body, thus it is very fragile and prone to damage that can cause peeling skin. It’s an irritating condition and can also make you self-conscious about your appearance.
The delicate skin on your face peels for a reason, so it’s important to understand the cause first. The most common cause of skin peeling on the face is sunburn. Other causes of peeling facial skin include:
- Exposure to harsh climatic conditions.
- Improper skin care routine.
- Use of harsh skin care products.
- Allergic reaction to ingredients in cosmetics, skin care products or even nail polish.
- Living in a highly polluted area.
- Various skin disorders or medical conditions like eczema, psoriasis, a weak immune system, dermatitis and side effects of chemicals or medications.
If the skin on your face is peeling, you may have symptoms like dry skin, itchiness, redness, rashes, rough or sandpaper-like skin, and also bleeding. If the problem is not taken care of at the initial stage, it might lead to a skin infection.
While nothing can be done to stop the damaged skin from shedding, you can use some simple home remedies to keep the skin hydrated, prevent irritation and promote healing.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of peeling skin on your face.
1. Olive Oil
Keeping the peeling skin moisturized is important to reduce the symptoms and improve the condition of your skin.
Olive oil is a great natural moisturizer. It contains skin-nourishing fatty acids that work as a moisturizer for dry and peeling skin. The oil coats the skin and locks in the moisture.
Also, the vitamin E in olive oil helps the healing process.
- Dab a small amount of olive oil on your face with your fingertips and massage in circular motions. Do this at least 3 times daily until the condition improves.
- Also, mix 2 tablespoons of salt with enough olive oil to create a thick paste. Use this paste as a facial scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells. Wash it off and apply a little moisturizer. Do this once a week until your skin heals completely.
2. Cool Compress
Using cold compresses can reduce the inflammation and provide significant relief from the pain of peeling skin on your face due to a sunburn.
The cold temperature causes the tiny blood vessels to constrict, which in turn reduces inflammation.
- Put a handful of ice cubes in a washcloth and tie it into a bundle.
- Hold the compress over your face for 5 minutes.
- Take a break for 5 minutes and repeat.
- Apply several times a day as needed to relieve discomfort.
Caution: Never apply ice directly on the sunburned skin, as it can worsen the condition.
Honey is considered to be the best natural moisturizer around. It helps lock the moisture into your skin to make it extra smooth and soft, hence it is a good remedy for peeling facial skin. It contains fructose, water, oil and enzymes that keep the skin moisturized.
It can also reduce inflammation and prevent an infection as well.
- Before taking a shower, apply honey on your face and massage gently. Leave it on your face for 10 minutes, then wash it off in the shower.
- Alternatively, mix 2 teaspoons of honey with 2 tablespoons of yogurt. Apply this mixture liberally on the affected skin. Allow it to dry on its own, then rinse it off with warm water. Do this once daily.
4. Aloe Vera
When it comes to treating peeling skin on your face, aloe vera is very beneficial. It contains soothing and moisturizing properties that help heal peeling skin as well as reducing inflammation and itching.
Moreover, it helps keep the skin hydrated to prevent the problem further.
- Break open a fresh aloe leaf and gently massage the gel onto your face. Let it sit on your skin for 15 minutes before you rinse it off. Use it twice daily.
- Alternatively, mix about 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel and a small amount of vitamin E oil. Use the mixture on the affected skin. Allow it to dry, then rinse it off using warm water. Repeat 2 or 3 times daily for at least 1 week.
Another good remedy to deal with peeling facial skin is oatmeal as it comes with numerous health benefits.
Apart from helping the skin retain moisture, it also removes accumulated dead skin as well as softens the skin.
Its anti-inflammatory nature also helps reduce itching and irritation associated with peeling skin.
- Soak 1 cup of rolled oats in 2 cups of warm water for about 20 minutes.
- Apply the oatmeal on your face.
- Allow it to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the oatmeal off with warm water.
- Gently scrub away the dry skin with a soft cloth.
- Finish by applying a light moisturizer on your face.
- Use this remedy daily until you get rid of your peeling skin.
For peeling skin on your face, cucumber is also very effective.
The high water content in cucumbers keeps the skin hydrated and soothes irritated, flaky and peeling skin. It also contains vitamin C, which helps repair the skin by fighting free-radical damage.
- Grate and mash 1 cucumber into a paste. Apply it all over your face. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Do this twice daily.
- Alternatively, mix ½ cup of grated cucumber and 1 tablespoon each of yogurt and honey. Apply it all over your face and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this hydrating face mask once daily.