For a female, having noticeable upper lip hair is a nightmare.
No woman is completely free of facial hair, but thicker, coarser and more abundant hair growth, especially on the upper lip area, is a matter of concern.
This unwanted facial hair or “moustache” can be due to genetic, hormonal or ethnic factors. In some cases, it can be due to an underlying medical condition, such as congenital adrenal hyperplasia, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or Cushing’s syndrome.
The market is flooded with hundreds of products and services that reduce and remove upper lip hair. From depilatory creams, shaving creams, razors, hair trimmers, waxing strips to laser hair reduction service, there are many options to choose from.
Although these products can give you the desired result, many are either harmful for your skin or cost a lot of money.
Well, there’s nothing to worry about. There are natural and cost-effective ways to get rid of that moustache. These remedies will not only reduce the rate of hair growth, they also help eliminate the small hairs with time.
The natural methods can take time, but they are safe for your skin and all you need is some easily available ingredients from your kitchen.
Here are the top 10 ways to remove upper lip hair.
1. Sugar and Honey
Sugar and honey can be used to make a homemade wax that works very effectively to get rid of unwanted hair from your upper lip.
The sugar works as an excellent exfoliating agent, while the honey helps keep your skin well-hydrated and moisturized.
Also, the lemon juice used in this homemade wax works as a cleansing and bleaching agent to lighten the color of the hair.
- Put 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of honey in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat it in the microwave for a few minutes, so the sugar dissolves completely.
- Remove it from microwave, then add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Allow the mixture to cool down a bit.
- Apply the slightly warm mixture on your upper lip.
- Put a waxing strip or piece of cotton cloth over the mixture, press it down and pull it off against the direction of the hair growth.
- Clean the area with cool water, pat dry and apply a light moisturizer.
2. Egg White
You can also use egg whites to get rid of unwanted upper lip hair. It is great for removing blackheads as well. When the egg white dries, it turns into a hard, sticky mass that works as a peel-off mask.
Also, egg white helps get rid of any impurities on the skin.
- Put the egg white from 1 egg in a bowl. Add ½ tablespoon of chickpea flour (also called besan) or corn flour and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Whisk well to form a smooth paste. Apply it on your upper lip and let it to sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Finally, peel off the mask gently in the opposite direction of the hair growth. Rinse the area with cool water, pat dry and apply a light moisturizer.
- Another option is to simply whisk an white and apply it on your face. Tear a few tissue papers into small pieces. When the egg white becomes a little stiff, apply a layer of tissue paper on your face followed by another layer of egg white. You can apply 2 or 3 layers of the tissue paper in this way. Let the mask dry and harden on your face dry for 15 to 20 minutes. Then, gently peel off the mask against the direction of hair growth.
Follow either of these remedies once or twice a week regularly.
Note: Egg whites can help remove facial hair that are fine but it is not likely to work on thick hair.
An age-old beauty remedy, turmeric combined with milk helps remove unwanted facial hair.
Turmeric cleanses and gives a natural glow to your skin. The milk in the remedy adds lactic acid that helps exfoliate the skin. It also keeps your skin supple and moisturized.
- Put 1 tablespoon each of turmeric and milk in a bowl. You can also add a little rice flour for exfoliation.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply the paste gently on your upper lip using your fingers and keep massaging for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Allow it to dry completely.
- Then, using wet fingers, gently rub off the dried paste in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Wash off your upper lip with cold water.
- Repeat the process once or twice a week for a few months to help remove your upper lip hair.
If you don’t have milk, you can make the paste using water.
Sugaring is another age-old technique for removing facial hair, including that moustache on your upper lip. This technique causes less pain and skin irritation when getting rid of unwanted hair.
With sugaring, you need to pull the hair against the direction of the hair growth.
- Put ¼ cup of water in a saucepan and heat it on the stove.
- When the water becomes hot, add 2 cups of sugar and ¼ cup of lemon juice.
- Mix the ingredients and let it heat up until you notice it bubbling.
- Turn the heat to low, and allow the mixture to simmer until it turns to an amber color.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and set it aside to cool down.
- Apply a little baby powder or cornstarch on your upper lip, then apply the paste over it.
- Place a cotton strip over the paste and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Finally, pull off strip in the opposite direction of your hair growth.
- Do it as needed but not very frequently.
Store the remaining mixture in an airtight container for future use. You can use it to remove body hair as well.
5. Gram Flour
Gram flour also works as a great ingredient to remove unwanted hair from your upper lip. Its slightly coarse nature works as an excellent exfoliating agent.
It also absorbs impurities that may be clogging your pores, which in turn helps hair to become loose in their follicles.
- Put 1 tablespoon of gram flour and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Mix in a little milk or water to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your upper lip and wait for it to dry.
- Once dry, scrub off the paste using wet fingers against the direction of the hair growth.
- Finally, rinse it off with cool water.
- Do this twice a week regularly.
Due to its sticky nature, gelatin works as another effective home remedy when it comes to facial hair removal. It is used to make peel-off masks that can take care of blackheads and unwanted hair.
- Put 1 tablespoon of unflavored gelatin, 1½ tablespoons of milk and a few drops of lavender essential oil in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Mix the ingredients, then put the bowl in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Allow the mixture to cool down a little.
- Apply a thick layer of the mixture on your upper lip using a popsicle stick.
- Allow it to dry, then peel it off against the direction of your hair growth.
- Rinse off the area with cool water.
7. Spearmint Tea
In some women, excess facial hair is linked to excessive production of androgen (associated with polycystic ovarian syndrome) in the body.
In such cases, you can drink a few cups of spearmint tea to control the production of androgen and combat excess facial and body hair.
- Put 1 teaspoon of dried, ground spearmint leaves in a cup.
- Pour boiling water into the cup.
- Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a little honey for taste.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of spearmint tea a day.
Any kind of powdered lentils works as an excellent face scrub and can help get rid of unwanted upper lip hair. Not just that, a lentil face pack even takes care of impurities and adds a nice glow to your skin.
- Grind lentils into a fine powder.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the powder in a bowl.
- Add enough honey to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your upper lip area using your fingers.
- Allow it to sit for 15 to 20 minutes, then scrub it off.
- Use this remedy twice a week.
9. Whole Wheat Flour
Another simple and natural ingredient for upper lip hair removal is whole wheat flour. Its works as an exfoliating agent, and it helps cleanse the skin of impurities.
- Mix equal amounts of turmeric and whole wheat flour. Add enough sesame oil to make a thick paste. Smear it on your face and let it dry. When it’s dry, scrub it off against the direction of the hair growth. Do this once or twice a week.
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon of yogurt and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric to form a paste. Massage the upper lip area with this paste. Wait about 15 minutes, then rub it off gently against the direction of the hair growth. Wash the area with cold water. Repeat this twice a week.
Papaya is also effective for unwanted upper lip hair. The enzyme papain in papaya helps break down the hair follicles and prevents the hair from growing back.
Papaya also works as natural bleach that helps lighten unwanted hair. Adding turmeric into the mix makes the remedy more effective.
- Grind 1 tablespoon of raw papaya flesh.
- Add in ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix thoroughly.
- Using your fingers, apply the paste on your upper lip.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat once a week.
- You can lightly dust a little baby powder on your upper lip area before using these remedies to remove upper lip hair. It will absorb any extra moisture from your skin so that the paste you are using adheres to the skin better.
- Do not overuse the remedies as it may irritate your skin.
- Eat a proper diet to help keep your hormones in balance, as hormonal imbalance is one of the reasons behind abnormal facial hair growth.
- Choose one remedy and stick to it. There is no need to try all the remedies at once.
- It is recommended to remove upper lip hair before bedtime, to allow time for any irritation, redness or swelling of your skin to subside.
- Always do a patch test on your upper arm or upper thigh before trying a remedy on your face.
- Avoid going in the sun immediately after hair removal to prevent further irritation to your skin.
- Use an ice pack on your lip afterward to soothe irritation.