Proper blood circulation in the body is important for optimum health. It is through blood circulation that nutrients, minerals and oxygen get transferred to different parts of the body. Also, proper circulation promotes cell growth and organ function.
Poor blood circulation can affect the entire body, including the brain, heart, liver, kidneys and the limbs. It can be a contributing factor in a variety of health problems.
Common symptoms of poor circulation are numbness or tingling sensations in certain body parts, cold hands and feet, fatigue, dizziness, hair loss, dry skin, edema, headaches, muscle cramps, pain in the legs, and an irregular heartbeat.
Many factors can contribute to poor blood circulation, such as a sedentary lifestyle, smoking, excessive drinking, caffeine, poor eating habits and long hours sitting at work.
It can also be due to medical conditions like pregnancy, diabetes, high cholesterol, thyroid disease, obesity, high blood pressure, nerve disorders, anemia, narrowed or blocked blood vessels, and food allergies.
You can improve the flow of blood throughout your body by making lifestyle changes, eating a healthy diet and using home remedies. Those suffering from circulatory disorders must consult a doctor.
Here are the top 10 ways to improve blood circulation.
Exercise is the best way to promote good blood circulation. There is no need to perform rigorous weight training exercises. In fact, simple and mild aerobic exercises are enough to improve blood flow.
- Walk for a minimum of 30 minutes, at least 5 times a week.
- Enjoy swimming, jogging, biking, trekking and similar activities, a few times a week.
- Do simple foot and hand exercises for 15 minutes daily in the morning.
Note: Do not over-exert yourself with exercise, especially when your circulation is poor.
Regular massage helps move blood through the congested areas. A relaxing massage of the whole body helps dilate the blood vessels, which in turn facilitates blood flow.
- Warm up some olive, coconut or almond oil. You can also add a few drops of rosemary oil.
- Using gentle yet firm strokes, massage the hands, legs, ankles and other body parts with the oil.
- Wait for some time, then take a warm bath.
- Enjoy massage a few times a week.
Note: When doing massage, keep the movements directed toward the heart to promote venous blood and lymph flow.
Hydrotherapy is another simple and effective way to improve blood circulation. It helps dilate the blood vessels and thus promoting blood flow.
Enjoy a hot bath, steam bath, whirlpool bath, or sauna a few times a week.
Turmeric is a wonderful spice that can help improve blood circulation. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, helps prevent blood platelets from forming clots and reduces plaque buildup in the arteries.
According to a 2012 study published in the journal Nutrition Research, curcumin supplements positively affect blood flow similar to exercise.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little honey to a glass of warm milk. Drink it 1 or 2 times daily.
- Take turmeric supplements, after consulting a doctor.
- Also, include turmeric in your cooking.
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin that helps stimulate the proper flow of blood throughout the body and organs. It also strengthens the arteries and capillaries. Plus, it helps reduce symptoms of poor blood circulation like pain, headaches, cold feet and tingling sensations in the legs.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder, 2 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily.
- Also, include cayenne pepper in your cooking or take a supplement after consulting your doctor.
Note: Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid consuming cayenne pepper.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is very beneficial for improving blood circulation. It has healthy fats and contains medium-chain triglycerides that help relieve inflammation of the arteries. This in turn improves blood flow throughout the body.
- Consume 2 to 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil daily.
- You can also use warm coconut oil to massage your hands and legs daily.