9. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil, a potent anti-inflammatory agent, can relieve pain and inflammation in the injured finger. In addition, its antiseptic properties will help prevent infection.
- Add 5 drops of tea tree essential oil to 1 tablespoon of any carrier oil of your choice.
- Apply this oil on the affected area and gently massage for 5 minutes. Make sure the massage does not aggravate the pain.
- Apply a hot compress for 10 minutes to improve circulation and reduce swelling.
- Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times daily until the pain and swelling is gone completely.
10. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera also helps in relieving inflammation associated with a jammed finger due to its strong anti-inflammatory properties.
It is effective in reducing the stiffness and soreness in the joints of your finger. The vitamins and amino acids in it also help repair damaged skin.
- Cut open an aloe vera leaf, extract the gel and apply it on the injured finger. Massage gently to increase blood circulation, then allow it to dry before wiping it off with a wet tissue. Repeat once or twice daily until you see improvement.
- Also, drink a cup of aloe vera juice twice daily for a couple of weeks to notice reduction in inflammation and pain.
- For the first week following injury, refrain from very strenuous activity.
- After a few days, slowly try to move the finger in order to restore its range of motion.
- Use over-the-counter arnica or capsaicin creams as needed to alleviate pain and swelling.
- Take fish oil supplements, after consulting your doctor. Fish oil is a natural source of omega-3 fatty acids that help lubricate the joints and restore damaged nerve tissue.
- Take bromelain supplements, after consulting your doctor. Bromelain, an enzyme, stimulates the body to produce natural compounds that relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
- If symptoms persist or worsen, see an orthopedic physician.