9. Eat Probiotic Yogurt
Eating probiotic yogurt every day is another preventive step for bladder infections. It contains billions of friendly bacteria that help fight off infection-causing bacteria.
It even helps maintain a healthy pH level and strengthens your immune system.
- Eat 2 to 3 cups of probiotic yogurt with live cultures daily.
- You can also drink a smoothie made with probiotic yogurt.
In addition, you can include other probiotic foods in your diet, such as kefir, miso, sauerkraut, kimchi, tempeh and sour pickles.
10. Avoid Triggers
Several common foods and drinks can irritate your bladder and increase the risk of developing infection. If you have a higher risk of bladder infections, you should avoid such irritants.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee. Instead, drink non-caffeinated herbal teas. Chocolates and certain soda drinks also contain caffeine so avoid them as we well.
- Avoid beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages as they can even irritate the bladder and even cause dehydration.
- Steer clear of spicy foods.
- Stay away from sugary foods and artificial sweeteners.