7. Orange Peels
Orange peels are often used as a natural whitener to remove stains from your teeth.
Plus, the limonene in orange peels helps break down plaque without eroding your enamel, while the vitamin C in them helps prevent growth of microorganisms on your teeth.
- Rub the inside portion of fresh orange peels directly on your teeth and gums before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and rinse it off the next morning.
- Repeat as needed to keep your teeth clean and white.
If you don’t have fresh orange peels, you can use dried orange peel powder.
8. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil works like a disinfectant to eradicate oral bacteria. It can prevent plaque buildup, cavities and help get rid of bad breath.
A 2012 study published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology suggests that the plant extracts from rosemary inhibited the growth of oral bacteria, glucosyltransferase activity, glucan production and plaque formation.
- Mix 2 or 3 drops of rosemary essential oil in 1 tablespoon of water or carrier oil.
- Swish the mixture through your teeth for about 10 minutes.
- Spit it out and brush your teeth as usual. Do not swallow or gargle with it.
- Repeat twice daily.
If you don’t have rosemary essential oil, you can use sage or thyme essential oil.