9. Liquid Dish Soap
Dish soap also works as an effective ant repellent. It can help suffocate the ants, causing them to die. You can try this tip on cockroaches, too.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of liquid dish soap and baking soda in a cup of water. Spread this solution along areas where ants are coming in.
- Fill a spray bottle with one part dish soap and two parts water, then shake it thoroughly. Spray the mixture over the areas where ants are present. After a few hours, wipe up the dead ants with a wet cloth.
10. Keep Your House Clean
To deter ants from entering your house, you must take extra care to keep it clean.
- Do your best to keep your floors, countertops and cabinets clean and free of clutter.
- Keep food containers tightly sealed, especially those used for storing sugar, honey, syrup and other foods that can attract ants.
- Clean up food spills right away, especially fruit juice or sugary foods.
- Make sure to properly cover any food that you leave out on the kitchen counter. You can even place bowls of food on plates containing a little water to prevent ants from reaching the food.
- Clean furniture surfaces and windowsills regularly.
- Never leave dirty dishes in the sink.
- Do not allow moisture to accumulate on kitchen counters and other surfaces.
- Ensure that your garbage cans have tightly sealed lids.
- Look for little cracks and crevices around doors and windows and seal them with caulk, petroleum jelly or any over-the-counter sealants.