Skin tags, medically known as acrochordons, are unsightly skin growths that can appear on the armpits along with other areas of the body like the neck, eyelids, under the breasts, near the genitals, on the back and so on.
Skin tags commonly appear where your skin creases and friction tends to occur. Usually small, the tags can form individually or in clusters and grow in size. Typically painless, skin tags can get irritated by clothing or jewelry, which can increase the risk of infection.
While a definitive cause of skin tags is still unknown, there are certain risk factors. These include being female, increasing age, obesity, genetics, certain endocrine syndromes, metabolic syndrome and hormonal imbalances.
According to a 2010 study published in the Anais Brasileiros De Dermatologia, multiple skin tags were associated with insulin resistance, a high body mass index and high triglycerides.
Skin tags are completely harmless, but people often want to have them removed for cosmetic reasons. The tags will not usually fall off or disappear on their own.
You can get them removed through medical procedures like cauterization, cryotherapy or surgical excision. All these procedures are expensive and can have side effects, too.
Nothing to be disappointed about though, as there are many natural methods you can use to remove skin tags.
Here are 10 home remedies to get rid of skin tags on your armpits.
1. Dental Floss
By using dental floss, you can successfully get rid of skin tags on your armpits. In fact, it is the easiest method that you can try at home, and it can even help you remove any skin tags on your neck.
The theory is that when you tie off the skin tag at the stalk, you cut off the blood flow. Without blood flow, the skin tag will dry out and soon fall off.
- Wash your underarms with mild soap, then pat your skin dry.
- Wipe some rubbing alcohol on the skin.
- Tie a piece of dental floss as tightly as you can around the bottom of the stalk of the skin tag.
- Cover the skin tag with a bandage.
- Each day, sterilize the area with rubbing alcohol and change the bandage.
- Within 1 to 2 weeks, the tag will wither and fall off.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an effective ingredient to get rid of skin tags on your armpits. Its acidic nature helps destroy the excess cells in the skin tag, which in turn helps remove it.
Being both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory in nature, it also reduces the risk of infection.
- Wash the area with lukewarm water and thoroughly dry the skin.
- Dip a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply it on the skin tag.
- Hold the cotton ball in place for up to 15 minutes.
- Then, wash the area with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times daily for about 1 month to eliminate the tag.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, dilute the apple cider vinegar with a little water before applying it.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil helps treat many skin disorders, including skin tags.
It helps dry out the skin tags and cause them to fall off. Plus, its antiviral, antifungal and antiseptic nature prevents any kind of infection.
- Thoroughly cleanse your skin and pat it dry.
- Put 3 drops of tea tree oil on a sterile cotton ball.
- Press the cotton ball over your skin tag and secure it with a bandage.
- Leave it on for 1 hour, then remove it and rinse off the area with lukewarm water.
- Apply the oil once or twice a day for 1 week or until the skin tag vanishes.
Note: If you have very sensitive skin, dilute the tea tree oil with an equal amount of water before application.
Iodine is a chemical element that helps deal with growths of skin, such as skin tags. When applied to a skin tag, it helps break down the built-up skin cells, which ultimately causes it to safely fall off.
For skin tags, use liquid iodine, which you can easily get in the market.
- Clean your underarms with mild soap.
- Dip a cotton swab in the liquid iodine.
- Apply it directly to your skin tag, avoiding the healthy skin around it.
- Cover it with a bandage.
- Do it once daily until the skin tag falls off.
5. Duct Tape
Using duct tape is another simple way to remove a skin tag effectively, whether it is located in your armpit or on your neck.
Duct tape irritates skin tags as well as reduces the flow of blood, which causes them to fall off.
- Wash your underarms with mild soap, then pat dry the area.
- Use a toothpick to gently scratch the skin tag.
- Cover the area completely with duct tape.
- Do not remove the duct tape for about a day.
- Apply new tape daily for a week or so. Eventually, your skin tag will fall off.
6. Lemon Juice
Due to its acidic nature, lemon juice is a good remedy for skin tags. The citric acid in it decomposes the cells within the skin growth, which in turn helps the skin tag to fall off.
It also has powerful antiseptic properties that prevent bacteria from growing in the area.
- Wash your underarms with mild soap, then pat dry your skin.
- Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice into a container.
- Dip a cotton swab in the juice and dab it on the skin tag.
- Let it dry off completely.
- Rinse the area with lukewarm water.
- Do it 2 or 3 times a day until the skin tag dries up and falls off.