Keloid scars are made of hard, fibrous scar tissue and appear quite abruptly on the skin. The exact cause of keloid scars is still unknown.
It is believed that when the top skin layer is damaged or tears, collagen forms at the site as part of the healing process. A keloid scar develops when there is excess collagen growth at the site. It may continue to grow slowly for years.
Keloid scars usually appear where there has been trauma or damage, such as acne, chicken pox, minor burns, cuts, ear piercings, insect bites, vaccinations and other skin abrasions.
These dome-shaped scars are usually flesh-colored, pink, or red. The affected area can be tender to the touch and itchy. It has been found that people with a darker complexion are more prone to this problem. Hereditary factors can also contribute to the problem.
People look for ways to get rid of these scars because they can be unsightly and annoying. You can try cortisone injections or laser therapy, but these treatments can be expensive and have side effects. Instead, try some simple remedies at home.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of keloid scars.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used to reduce the appearance of keloid scars by encouraging healthy skin layer development. It also acts as an abrasive agent and helps exfoliate the skin, keeping it free from dirt, debris and dead cells.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda and three teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this three or four times a day for at least one month to shrink keloid scars.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is very effective for treating keloid scars. It helps keep the skin well moisturized and also helps in regenerating the damaged skin surface. Also, it has a cooling effect that will reduce itching.
- Cut open an aloe vera leaf and extract its gel.
- Apply a light coating of aloe vera gel on the area.
- Allow it to dry on its own so that the medicinal properties are fully absorbed by the skin.
- Apply five or six times daily for several days.
Note: This remedy works best on fresh scars, and may not be effective on scars that are more than a year old.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has been found to be very effective on mild keloid scars. It has vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that helps get rid of different types of scars, including keloid scars. Other elements in lemon juice also help regenerate and repair damaged skin.
- Extract the juice from one medium-size fresh lemon.
- Apply the juice on the scar.
- Leave it on for about half an hour, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry and then apply some moisturizing lotion to keep the area moisturized.
- Do this twice daily for a month to get good results.
If this remedy is used on a regular basis, you’ll see considerable transformation in the shade of the top layer of skin cells, causing the scar to be less noticeable.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent home remedy to get rid of keloid scars. Certain elements in apple cider vinegar help eliminate fatty deposits under your skin.
Plus, its acidic property will exfoliate and soften your skin and, in turn, reduce the appearance of scars.
- Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of water in a cup.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the solution on the affected area.
- Leave it on for half an hour, and then wash it off with water.
- Continue this remedy three or four times daily for a couple of weeks.
Garlic is quite effective in reducing the appearance of keloid scars. A study done at Aarhus University in Denmark in 1994, which was published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, found that garlic extract affects the growth of fibroblast cells, which is responsible for a keloid scar’s growth.
- Crush three or four fresh garlic cloves. Apply the crushed garlic on the affected area and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water. Pat dry and then apply some moisturizing lotion. Follow this simple remedy once daily for about a month to get positive results.
- You can also apply garlic oil on the affected skin two times daily for a month to lighten the scar. If the garlic oil causes any kind of discomfort, immediately wash it off with lukewarm water.
6. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil contains skin cell rejuvenating properties that can help treat keloid scars. Additionally, this essential oil increases skin restoration, which in turn helps prevent scars from becoming permanent.
- Soak a cotton ball in lavender oil and dab it on the affected area. Massage the area gently for 15 minutes. When the oil is absorbed by the skin, the scars will become soft and start to heal. Follow this remedy twice daily for about a month to get positive results.
- Alternatively, prepare a mixture with one-half teaspoon each of lavender essential oil and calendula essential oil and 10 teaspoons of coconut oil. Mix the ingredients well. Apply a small amount of the mixture on the scar. Massage for 10 minutes and then leave it on for at least 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cool water. Follow this remedy once daily until you get positive results. Store the remaining mixture in a dark, dry place and you’ll be able to use it for up to a month.