Thyme contains significant amounts of thymol, which has anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties. Thymol can numb the nerve fibers as well as reduce inflammation caused by excessive scratching.
- Add one tablespoon of dried thyme leaves to two cups of boiling water.
- Cover it and allow it to cool.
- Strain the solution.
- Use a clean cloth to apply the solution directly on the itchy skin.
- Do this as many times as necessary.
Save any leftover solution in a jar to use later.
10. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, analgesic and soothing properties that help relieve itching caused by dermatitis, scabies or stress.
- Add several drops of peppermint oil to a bathtub filled with lukewarm water. Soak in this water for half an hour. Pat dry and then apply a moisturizing lotion. Do this once daily.
- Add three or four drops of peppermint oil to one tablespoon of carrier oil like coconut, olive or almond oil. Apply the diluted peppermint oil to the affected skin area. Massage gently so the oil penetrates deep into the skin. Follow this remedy once or twice daily.
Go time you suffer from itchy skin, simply try one of these home remedies instead of scratching like crazy.