9. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly can also have a stifling effect on lice, hence it can be used to get rid of lice quickly. Petroleum jelly will suffocate the bugs by clogging their breathing holes, making it impossible for them to survive for very long.
- Apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly on the scalp and hair.
- Then cover your head with a close-fitting shower cap.
- Leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, use baby oil to remove the petroleum jelly.
- Then wash your hair thoroughly with your regular shampoo.
- When your hair dries, use a nit comb to remove any nits and lice.
- Repeat once a week for one to two months.
According to Ayurveda, almonds are one of the most effective home treatments to remove lice.
- Soak 10 almonds in water overnight.
- The next morning, peel and grind the almonds into a thick paste.
- Mix three tablespoons of lemon juice into the paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp thoroughly.
- Leave it on for about two hours.
- Wash it off thoroughly with cold water.
- Use this treatment once a week for two months.
With patience and diligence, you can easily get rid of head lice. These additional tips will help stop the spread of lice:
- Do not share anything belonging to the affected person.
- Keep combs and brushes used by an affected person separate from others.
- After treating lice, wash all clothing and bedding used by the affected person in hot water.
- Seal all the non-washable items used by the affected person in plastic bags for a week.
- Vacuum all upholstery, mattresses and carpets.
- Once in a while, comb your hair with a nit comb.