Due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties, peppermint is also used in the treatment of gingivitis. It can also reduce inflammation and bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Soak a few crushed peppermint leaves in water for 30 minutes and then use the solution to rinse your mouth 2 or 3 times daily.
- Alternatively, prepare a strong cup of peppermint tea and drink it in between meals or cool it and use it as a mouthwash.
- You can also use peppermint-flavored toothpaste to brush your teeth twice daily.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties, hence it is recommended for treating chronic gingivitis. It can give quick relief from irritated and inflamed gums.
Use tea tree oil toothpaste to brush your teeth daily. If such toothpaste is not available, add a drop of tea tree oil to your regular toothpaste every time you brush your teeth. You can also use a tea tree oil-containing gel.
Note: Never swallow tea tree oil as it can cause stomach irritation, including diarrhea.
- Get regular dental check-ups.
- Use a soft toothbrush to brush your teeth twice daily.
- Replace your toothbrush at least every 3 to 4 months.
- Use toothpaste that has antibacterial and antiseptic properties to maintain oral health.
- Floss your teeth and scrape your tongue at least once a day.
- Stop using tobacco as it can cause great harm to your teeth as well as gums.
- Use a good antibacterial mouthwash twice daily to reduce plaque and gingivitis.
- For stronger teeth and gums, eat more calcium-rich foods.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that promotes oral health. Eat foods rich in vitamin C or take supplements.
- Rinse your mouth with water and also drink some water after every meal.
- Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables like apples, carrots and radishes to stimulate saliva and help keep your mouth clean.
- Stay away from high sugar foods since harmful bacteria flourish on sweets.
- Eat cheese and yogurt to help control and reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth.
- As vitamin D also helps reduce the risk of gum disease, take a vitamin D supplement daily.
- Drink about 4 ounces of cranberry juice daily to help prevent bacteria from sticking to your teeth.
Consult your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or you have a lot of pain and discomfort.