Acne is an irritating and painful skin problem. However, the problem can be much worse if you suffer from back acne. Acne on your back can make it difficult for you to sleep and slow the healing process.
Plus, as you cannot easily see the acne on your own, you cannot analyze the severity of the condition.
Using products like body lotion, massage oil or sunscreen that clog the pores may also lead to acne and skin breakouts. Other risk factors include friction from tight-fitting clothes, an unhealthy diet, stress, hormonal changes in the body and improper skin care, to name a few.
Though painful and difficult to take care of, you can effectively treat back acne with many simple home remedies.
Here are the top 10 natural remedies to get rid of back acne fast.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best natural treatments for all types of acne, including that on your back.
It inhibits inflammation and bacterial growth responsible for skin breakouts, due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Plus, it helps balance the pH level of the skin, which is important to keep your skin free of any kind of problem.
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water. Apply this solution on the affected areas of your back. Wait 10 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Finish by applying a light, water-based moisturizer. Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times a day until the acne is healed completely.
- Also, consuming apple cider vinegar daily can help keep your skin healthy from within. Add 1 teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a little raw honey to a glass of warm water and drink it twice daily.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Another excellent home remedy for back acne is tea tree oil.
This essential oil is loaded with natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat acne. When used topically, the oil easily penetrates into the skin and helps dry out the acne quickly. It also reduces redness and inflammation.
A 2007 study published in the Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology found that topical 5% tea tree oil is an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne vulgaris.
- Put 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil onto a cotton ball and dab it gently on the affected areas of your back. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use it once daily.
- Alternatively, thoroughly mix 4 or 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of honey. Apply it on the affected areas. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse it off with water. Repeat once daily.
Note: Those who have sensitive skin should not apply undiluted tea tree essential oil. Dilute 1 part tea tree oil with 3 parts water before use.
Borax is also considered a natural anti-acne agent. This powerful antimicrobial agent helps eliminate bacteria and other toxins in and on the skin. Plus, it works as an anti-inflammatory agent, which aids in reducing the pain and inflammation associated with back acne.
A 2014 study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science highlighted the inhibitory effect of borax on P. acne growth and inflammation. This study supports the anti-acne property of borax.
- Put ½ teaspoon of borax powder in a bowl.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of glycerin and a little water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on your back where you have acne.
- Allow it to dry completely.
- Rinse the dry paste off with warm water, splash the area with cool water and towel dry the skin.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times a day.
Honey keeps the acne-affected area hydrated and calm. Being a natural antibiotic and antibacterial agent, it can reduce acne symptoms and prevent infection.
A 2011 study published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine notes that medical-grade honey has the potential to be a treatment for topical infections caused by antibiotic-resistant as well as antibiotic-sensitive bacteria.
By including honey in your skin care regimen, you can even prevent breakouts.
- Dab a little raw honey or manuka honey on the affected area. Wait 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can also prepare a paste with 1 tablespoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Apply it on your back where you have acne. Wait about 10 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Use this once a day.
Turmeric has an antibacterial property that helps kill P. acnes bacteria, which cause acne.
A 2013 study published in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin found that the compound curcumin in turmeric exhibits antimicrobial activity that inhibits P. acnes bacteria.
Plus, this common kitchen ingredient has an anti-inflammatory property that helps reduce inflammation and pain. It also helps balance the skin’s pH level to keep it free from breakouts.
- Combine 1 to 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder and a little sesame oil to form a paste. Dab the paste on the affected area. Leave it on for about 1 hour before rinsing it off. Use this remedy 1 or 2 times daily for a few days.
- Also, drink turmeric milk twice daily to fight inflammation and pain. To make turmeric milk, mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk.
6. Aloe Vera
To get rid of the annoying acne on your back, try aloe vera. This natural gel can help kill the bacteria causing acne, reduce inflammation and promote healing.
A 2008 study published in the Indian Journal of Dermatology highlights the medicinal properties of aloe vera, such as anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic and antimicrobial. This study also says that aloe vera has an anti-acne effect.
A 2014 study published in the Journal of Dermatological Treatment concludes that aloe vera is very effective for the treatment of mild to moderate acne vulgaris.
- Cut open an aloe vera leaf and extract the gel. Apply this pure gel on the affected area twice daily for a week.
- Alternatively, blend 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and ½ teaspoon each of raw honey and turmeric powder to form a paste. Apply it on the affected skin, leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it off thoroughly with water. Repeat once daily.