When it comes to acne scars, turmeric is very effective.
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is loaded with skin-healing properties. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help heal the acne and scars on your face.
Plus, turmeric has regenerative properties that accelerate the healing process.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder with a little lemon juice to make a paste. Apply it on the scars. Wash it off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water. Pat dry and apply a light moisturizer. Do this twice daily.
- Alternatively, mix together 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil. Apply it on the affected area. Allow it to dry. Using wet fingers, gently scrub it on your skin for a minute. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Do it 2 or 3 times a week.
Note: Turmeric will stain your clothes, so take care not to spill the paste.
Honey is great moisturizer for your skin and is also rich in antibiotic and healing properties. It can help treat acne as well as heal the damaged skin by preventing accumulation of dead skin cells and stimulating skin tissue regeneration.
- Apply some honey on the scars, cover it with a bandage and leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash it off with warm water. Repeat daily before going to bed.
- Crush 2 or 3 aspirin tablets into a powder, then mix it into 2 teaspoons of honey. Apply it on your scars and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Use it once daily.
- Avoid picking, popping or squeezing acne, as it can cause stubborn scars.
- Do not touch the acne-affected area too much, as dirt and bacteria from your hands can lead to infection and scarring.
- Avoid too much sun exposure. The ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can make scars more prominent.
- To protect your skin from sun damage, use a sunscreen with a minimum SPF (sun protection factor) of 30.
- Use herbal and chemical-free skin care products, as chemicals can increase the risk of scarring.
- Avoid applying makeup immediately after washing your skin, as it can clog your pores and lead to more acne breakouts.
- Always apply moisturizer when your skin is damp, so that the moisturizer can work its way into your skin.
- Exfoliate once a week to slough off dead skin, revealing the fresh, soft new skin underneath.
- Quit smoking, as it delays the healing process.
- Manage your stress level. Stress can worsen acne, especially in females.
- Get enough sleep, as collagen production and cell repair is faster and more effective during sleep.
- Keep your clothes and bedding clean.
- Drink enough water to keep your body hydrated. Dehydration can cause dry skin and worsen acne scars.