Symptoms like mood swings, sleep disruption, night sweats and hot flashes can be reduced to a great extent by practicing yoga.
Multiple studies have shown that yoga helps one experience these symptoms with ease and comfort as well as makes the body strong to bear with the changes it goes through during menopause.
Some of the common yoga practices that can help reduce menopause symptoms are postures (asana), controlled breathing (pranayama) and meditation (dhyana).
Take a gentle yoga class once or twice a week to derive the most benefits. If yoga is new for you, it’s best to take a class to learn how to perform the postures and proper breathing techniques.
Regular exercise will not reduce menopause symptoms, but it can help relieve stress, improve mood, prevent cognitive decline and improve the quality of life for many women during this challenging time.
Also, exercise can alleviate some of the sleep problems that many menopausal women experience. Experts recommend at least 30 minutes of moderate activity per day, most days of the week.
Aim to get at least two and one-half hours of moderate-intensity aerobic activity in a week, and do muscle-strengthening exercises two days a week. Other deep breathing, stretching and pelvic floor exercises are also recommended.
- Try to notice what triggers your hot flashes and avoid those things.
- To reduce hot flashes and night sweats, drink a glass of cold water.
- Take vitamin B supplements after consulting your doctor.
- Try to expose your body to early morning sunshine for at least 15 minutes to get vitamin D.
- If you’re overweight, try to lose weight.
- Avoid large meals right before bedtime.
- Try drinking something warm before bedtime, such as caffeine-free tea or warm milk.
- Get enough sleep to help you feel your best.
- Decrease vaginal discomfort by using water-based vaginal lubricants or moisturizers.
- Stay sexually active to help increase blood flow to the vagina.
- Cut back on coffee and alcoholic drinks.
- Don’t smoke as it will aggravate your symptoms.
With these tips and suggestions, many of the signs and symptoms associated with menopause will go away naturally and help you to lead a healthy life.