Fenugreek seeds contain a phytoestrogen called diosgenin that is believed to have an estrogenic effect. Herbalists often recommend this herb for increasing lactation and natural breast enlargement.
The amino acid 4-hydroxyisoleucine, a constituent of fenugreek seeds stimulates the beta cells of the pancreas to secrete insulin. The estrogenic activity of fenugreek constituent inhibits lipid levels indirectly via the thyroid hormone .
It also helps improve glucose metabolism, thus proving useful for diabetics to lower blood sugar levels and glucose metabolic disorders associated with obesity.
- Steep 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of hot water for about 15 minutes. Strain and drink this tea 2 or 3 times a day. You can also add some honey and lemon juice for taste.
- Another option is to take this herb in supplement form. For proper dosage, consult your doctor. It can also be eaten in baked goods or other foods as desired.
If fenugreek does not suit you, consider taking fennel in the same way.
8. Holy Basil
Holy basil is another excellent remedy for balancing hormones as it works as a natural adaptogen. Basil essential oil contains active ingredients like eugenol, euginal, ursolic acid, carvacrol, linalool etc.
It helps lower and stabilize cortisol levels; high levels of cortisol adversely affect the thyroid gland, ovaries, and pancreas.
In 2006, a study published in the Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology reported that alcoholic extracts of basil could remarkably reduce the blood sugar levels and increase the insulin in diabetic rat models .
Basil extracts were also found to be antithyroidic in nature in another study .
Plus, holy basil improves mental clarity and elevates the mood .
- Simply eat a few holy basil leaves daily for at least a few months.
- You can also drink basil tea prepared by boiling a few holy basil leaves in a cup of water for a few minutes. Strain and drink this tea daily, up to 3 cups.
- Another option is to take this herb in supplement form, 250 to 500 mg on a daily basis. Consult your doctor first.
Caution: Do not take if pregnant or attempting to become pregnant as it can possibly impede fetal implantation.