9. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract contains low levels of alcohol and is rich in antioxidant properties that can help numb the pain of a wisdom tooth.
- Apply 3 or 4 drops of vanilla extract onto a cotton swab.
- Hold the cotton swab directly against the affected tooth for several minutes.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a day until the problem subsides.
Note: Vanilla extract is not the same as vanilla essence commonly used for cooking and baking.
Wheatgrass is another natural remedy for wisdom toothaches. Being a natural antibiotic, wheatgrass helps draw out bacteria and toxins from the mouth, in turn reducing the pain.
- Chew a few fresh wheatgrass shoots slowly, then spit them out. Do this as needed to get relief from the pain.
- Alternatively, extract the juice of wheatgrass and use it as a mouthwash several times a day until the pain is gone.
- Apply an ice pack to the cheek above the affected tooth to reduce pain.
- You can also put a piece of cheese over the affected wisdom tooth for quick relief.
- Slowly chew sugar-free gum after meals to stimilate saliva and fight infection.
- Oil pulling is a very good option for relieving oral health problems.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash to reduce inflammation.
- Don’t chew hard food.
- Brush your teeth and tongue regularly. Floss between your teeth once daily.
- Reduce the quantity of sugar in your diet to prevent infection.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Relaxation and deep breathing can also help in wisdom tooth pain management.
These remedies may provide temporary relief from the pain. However, you must visit your dentist so that he or she can examine the tooth and decide whether further treatment is necessary.