9. Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract is another effective home remedy for treating vaginal thrush, due to its potent antiviral and antifungal properties. It can kill any parasites you have growing and breeding inside of you.
It is also beneficial at restoring the balance between good bacteria and yeast in your vagina.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of olive leaf tea daily. To make the tea, steep 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive leaf in a cup of boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes, then strain it.
- You can opt to take olive leaf extract (250 to 500 mg) 3 times daily. However, consult your doctor for the proper dosage for you.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda is another powerful yeast and fungus killer and hence very effective in the treatment of vaginal yeast infections.
According to a 2009 study published in Brazilian Oral Research, 5-percent sodium bicarbonate is effective against candida albicans.
- Mix 1 cup of baking soda in a bathtub filled with warm water. Soak in it for 10 to 15 minutes once daily for 1 week.
- You can also dissolve ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it once daily on an empty stomach for 2 weeks. Take a break for 2 weeks and repeat again for another 2 weeks.
- To reduce your risk of vaginal thrush, wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting pants or skirts. Do not wear tight-fitting underwear or pantyhose.
- If your clothes are wet, change them immediately.
- Avoid hot tubs and very hot baths.
- Avoid using scented tampons or pads.
- Avoid using powders and fragrant sprays in the genital area.
- Change your underwear daily and wash them in hot water.
- Avoid douching because it can kill good bacteria in the vagina that prevent infections.
- Clean only the outside areas of your vagina with gentle soap and water.
- Eat a well-balanced, whole-food diet that includes vegetables, whole grains, fish and lean meat.
- Eliminate sugar, junk foods and food additives from your diet.
- Limit the use of antibiotics.