Drinking buttermilk is another excellent herbal treatment for typhoid fever. It is easy on the stomach and aids recovery. It will also prevent dehydration.
- Drink a few glasses of buttermilk daily until you recover completely.
- You can also add 2 teaspoons of freshly extracted juice of coriander leaves to 1 cup of buttermilk. Drink this 2 times daily for 1 to 2 weeks.
- To help bring down the fever, add the pulp of 1 banana to a glass of buttermilk. Drink this 2 times daily.
10. Eat High-Nutrition Foods
When you become weak from typhoid, it is important to follow a special diet to provide your body proper nutrition. A good diet will also help balance your body’s fluids and electrolytes and boost your immune system.
- Increase your caloric intake to provide energy.
- Eat foods high in protein like eggs and milk to help your body recover.
- High-carbohydrate foods must also be included in your diet to meet the body’s energy requirements.
- Due to fever and sweating, you may have low levels of electrolytes like potassium and sodium. Drink fruit juices, soups and broths to compensate for the mineral loss.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon and a little honey to a glass of warm water and drink it 2 or 3 times a day. Simply drinking a glass of warm water mixed with honey will also soothe the digestive tract.
- Drink fresh orange juice to keep your body hydrated and cool.
- Avoid eating meats and sugary items for a few days.
- Eat simple foods like porridge, legumes with rice, grilled fish and boiled or raw vegetables.
- Include green vegetable smoothies and soups in your diet.
- Do not eat unhygienic, street food and always opt for home cooked food.
- Avoid eating raw fruits and vegetables that you cannot peel.
- Wash your hands properly before cooking a meal or eating food.
- Always drink boiled or bottled water.
- Maintain good hygiene and sanitation to prevent the spread of typhoid.
- Avoid stimulants like alcohol, caffeinated beverages, tea, carbonated drinks and spicy foods.
- Avoid milk and dairy products if you have diarrhea.
- Eat foods that are high in fiber if you suffer from constipation.
- To improve bowel movements, add ½ teaspoon of psyllium seeds to a cup of warm water and drink it.
- Bed rest is very important because the disease causes a lot of weakness.