Astragalus is a traditional Chinese herbal medicine that helps boost immunity. The immune-building and adaptogen property of astragalus helps fight the infection quickly and provides relief from the discomforts. It also helps boost the body’s energy level.
- Add a handful of dried astragalus root slices to 1 quart of water. Boil it, then let it simmer for 30 minutes, strain and drink this tea twice daily.
- Astragalus is also available as a supplement, which you can take after consulting your doctor.
Note: If you have an immune disorder, talk to your doctor before taking this herb.
The herb echinacea can also help treat symptoms of mononucleosis as well as promote recovery.
Also, it strengthens the body’s defense system so it can fight several infections.
- Steep 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried echinacea in 1 cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Drink 1 to 2 cups of this tea a day.
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of echinacea tincture in a glass of water. Drink it 3 or 4 times a day.
- You can opt to take echinacea capsules until symptoms disappear, but consult your doctor first.
Note: Those suffering from autoimmune disorders must not take this herb. Plus, this herb is not suitable for children.
- Avoid kissing others for several weeks to prevent spreading the infection.
- Do not indulge in heavy lifting and other rigorous activities for several weeks to reduce the risk of injuring your spleen.
- Do not share food as well as dishes and utensils while suffering from mono.
- Quit smoking and drinking until you have recovered completely.
- Keep your throat moist by sucking on a piece of hard candy.
- Limit your intake of simple carbohydrates.