Just like face acne, chest acne is a very common problem.
Acne develops on the chest area when the hair follicles or pores get blocked with dead skin cells or oils and infected by bacteria. Because there is a huge amount of sebaceous or oil-producing glands in the chest area, the likelihood of getting acne in this area is higher than other body parts.
This skin problem is common among both women and men with varying levels of severity. Chest acne symptoms include redness, pain, swelling, inflammation, bleeding, skin infections and scarring.
Many factors can make you more prone to chest acne. Some of these factors are too much stress, hormonal changes in the body (from puberty, pregnancy, starting or stopping birth control), using the wrong cosmetic products, an unhealthy diet, sleep deprivation, wearing clothes that are too tight, and excessive drinking and smoking.
Also, acne can appear on the chest after shaving the hairs in this region.
You can treat chest acne the same way you would acne on your face or any other part of your body. There are several natural remedies that are safe, effective and inexpensive to get rid of chest acne faster than you imagined.
Here are the top 10 home remedies to get rid of chest acne.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The alpha hydroxy acids in apple cider vinegar help unclog skin pores and dissolve dead skin cells. This in turn helps to dry out acne quickly. It also has amazing anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help treat acne.
Also, it restores the natural pH of your skin and minimizes the risk of scarring.
- Dilute 1 part raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 2 parts water. Soak a cotton ball in this solution. Apply the soaked cotton ball over the affected skin. Leave it for about 30 minutes, then rinse it off using lukewarm water. Do this 2 times daily.
- Alternatively, mix together 1 teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of cooled green tea, 5 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of raw honey. Apply the mixture on the acne using circular motions. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with water. Use this remedy once a week.
- Also, add 1 teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water and drink it once or twice daily to keep your skin acne-free.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda works as an effective exfoliating agent. It helps scrub off dead skin cells, leaving the skin smooth, clean and bright.
It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the pain and inflammation caused by acne.
- In 1 teaspoon of baking soda, add a little bit of water.
- Mix them together to form a smooth paste.
- Apply it on the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
- Use this remedy once daily.
To fight the bacteria associated with chest acne, you can also use lemon due to its antibacterial property. Plus, the L-ascorbic acid in lemon juice works as a natural astringent, which helps dry out acne.
- Cut a lemon in half and rub it on the acne-affected area. Allow the juice to remain on the skin for about 30 minutes. Wash the area thoroughly with cool water. Try this remedy once daily.
- Alternatively, prepare a solution with equal amounts of lemon juice and rose water. Apply it on the affected area and allow it to sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Finally, rinse it off with cool water. Repeat twice daily.
Note: Those who have highly sensitive skin must not use lemon remedies.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another natural home remedy that can heal chest acne fast. Being a powerful antiseptic, this essential oil helps clean the pores to accelerate the healing process.
It also helps kill the bacteria responsible for the acne breakout.
A 2007 study published in the Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology reports that topical 5 percent tea tree oil is an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne vulgaris.
- Put 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil on a cotton ball.
- Dab the oil on the affected skin.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times a day.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, dilute the tea tree oil with several drops of olive oil before using it.
The white toothpaste that you use to brush your teeth is also very effective in getting rid of chest acne. Its antibacterial properties help get rid of the bacteria that cause acne.
Toothpaste also works to dry out acne caused by over-productive oil glands.
- Apply some white toothpaste on the affected area.
- Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat the process daily until the acne dries out.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is extremely effective in fighting all types of acne, including the ones you have on your chest.
The gel contains anthraquinones and flavonoids, which help dry out acne quickly. This in turn helps speed up the healing process.
Aloe vera also helps ease itchiness, pain and redness associated with acne and reduces the risk of scarring.
- Break open an aloe vera leaf and extract the fresh gel.
- Apply this gel to your chest acne.
- Rub it for some time, so that the gel penetrates deep into the skin.
- Allow it to dry on its own.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a day until the acne is healed completely.