7. Warm Oil Massage
Massage is another good way to reduce swelling. A gentle massage will help relax sore muscles and reduce swelling.
Also, it improves blood circulation and encourages drainage of excess fluid, which is one of the primary causes of swelling after an injury.
- Warm some mustard oil or olive oil in the microwave.
- Dab some of the warm oil on the affected area.
- Gently massage the affected area with this oil for 5 minutes, then leave it on for a few hours.
- Do this several times a day.
Note: Do not massage the injured area if it causes pain.
Turmeric is a good remedy for relieving pain and swelling.
The curcumin in turmeric contains antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and swelling.
- Prepare a paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Rub this paste over the swollen area and allow it to dry. Rinse it off with warm water. Repeat 2 or 3 times daily until the swelling and pain is gone.
- Also, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1½ cup of milk. Simmer it on low heat until it turns a golden color. Sweeten with honey and drink it twice daily to promote healing.