Cabbage’s anti-inflammatory effects make it a good topical remedy for treating simple sprains. Cabbage compresses are often used to reduce the swelling in sprains and broken bones. It is also high in vitamins and phytonutrients that help speed up the healing process.
- Remove the outer leaves from a head of cabbage.
- Use a rolling pin to gently bruise the leaves so the juices can be released.
- Wrap the cabbage leaves in foil and then warm them in the oven. The leaves should be warm but not hot.
- Put the warm cabbage leaves over the painful area. Secure them in place with a gauze bandage.
- Cover the entire area with plastic wrap to retain its warmth.
- Leave it on for half an hour.
- Follow this remedy twice daily for two days.
10. Olive Oil
The presence of a certain phenolic compound in olive oil helps alleviate inflammation resulting from a sprained ankle. Plus, olive oil has healing properties that help speed recovery.
- Heat the olive oil and then allow it to cool for some time. Apply the warm oil on the affected area and gently massage for few minutes. This will relax the muscle and relieve pain. Do this three or four times a day for a few days.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to one egg yolk and mix it well. Apply this mixture on the affected area and cover it with a cotton pad. Keep it bandaged for two days. Repeat the process for a few days.
Along with these remedies, you need to rest the sprained ankle for a few days. Putting stress on a sprained ankle will delay the healing process and may even cause further injury.