Everyone experiences trouble sleeping at one time or another. It can be due to stress, change in location, medicinal effects, illness or pain, or others factors. But if trouble sleeping has become a regular occurrence, you may be suffering from some kind of sleep disorder.
Some of the most common sleep disorders are insomnia, sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, narcolepsy, sleep walking, night terror, bed wetting and nocturnal bruxism.
Sleeping well is essential for your overall physical health as well as emotional well-being. Improper and lack of sleep for even a day or two can take a toll on your mood, energy, productivity and ability to handle stress.
If you’re experiencing persistent trouble sleeping, see a doctor to find out the exact problem. There are treatments available for most sleep disorders.
You can also make healthy changes to your daytime habits and bedtime routine to enjoy better sleep at night. Also, some natural sleep disorder remedies can help you fall asleep and stay asleep longer.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for sleep disorders.
1. Oil Massage
According to naturopathic practitioners, massaging your body can help you sleep better. Massaging with warm coconut oil or mustard oil will improve blood circulation and relax the nerves to help you sleep soundly.
- Slightly warm some coconut oil or mustard oil.
- Rub the warm oil on your neck, shoulders, back and the bottom of your feet.
- Massage the body parts in circular motions for five to 10 minutes.
- Follow this remedy daily before going to bed.
2. Epsom Salt Bath
Naturopathic practitioners recommend Epsom salt baths one to two hours before bedtime to enjoy sound sleep. The magnesium sulfate in Epsom salt helps soothe sore muscles and calm the nerves, in turn easing you into better sleep.
- Add one-half cup of Epsom salt to warm bath water.
- Stir for a few minutes so that the salt dissolves properly in the water.
- Soak in this bath for about 20 minutes.
- Follow this remedy a few times a week one hour before going to bed.
Chamomile works as a mild tranquillizer and sleep-inducer to help you sleep better at night. A cup of warm chamomile tea one hour before bedtime will relax your nerves and muscles.
- Mix two to three teaspoons of dried chamomile in a cup of hot water.
- Steep for three to five minutes.
- Strain it and add one teaspoon of honey. You can also add a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Drink this tea while it is still warm, one hour before going to bed.
- Follow this remedy daily.
4. Warm Milk
Drinking a glass of warm milk before bedtime will definitely help you enjoy sound sleep as it has a relaxing effect on your body and mind. Milk is a good source of calcium, which helps regulate melatonin production. Melatonin is the hormone that controls sleep. Also, the calcium in milk helps combat stress.
- Mix one-quarter teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a little honey in a glass of warm milk.
- Drink it at least one hour before going to bed.
5. Lavender Oil
The aromatic scent of lavender oil has a calming effect on your body to help you sleep better. Some preliminary research suggests that lavender oil increases total sleep time as well as helps people feel refreshed in the morning.
- Put one or two drops of lavender essential oil in a handkerchief and place it near your pillow while you sleep.
- Alternatively, add several drops of lavender oil to a bath tub filled with warm water. Soak in this water for 20 minutes. Do this at least one hour before going to bed.
- You can also mix a few drops of this essential oil in one tablespoon of olive oil and rub it on the bottom of each foot before going to bed.
Valerian is one of the most common remedies for sleep disorders. Valerian has sedative and muscle-relaxing properties that induce relaxation and promote deep sleep. In fact, several studies indicate that valerian can help promote deep sleep as well as improve overall quality of sleep.
- Mix one teaspoon of dried valerian root in a cup of hot water. Cover and steep for 15 minutes. Strain, add some honey and drink it while it is still warm. Have this tea daily at least one hour before bedtime to enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep.
- Alternatively, take 400 to 900 milligrams of valerian extract a couple of hours before going to bed.
Note: Do not use this herb on a regular basis for more than a few weeks.