Medically known as acrochorda, skin tags are small, soft skin outgrowths that may appear on various parts of the body. Most of the time, skin tags are harmless and painless. They are primarily considered a cosmetic problem.
Skin tags are typically flesh-colored and may be smooth or wrinkled and vary in size. They are composed of blood vessels and collagen fibers surrounded by skin.
The cause of skin tags is not known, but it is believed that it has something to do with friction. Rubbing of skin against skin is a leading contributing factor, so common skin tag locations are the neck, breasts, groin, stomach, eyelids and underarms.
Heredity may also make a person more prone to skin tags. A study by the National Institutes of Health states that as much as 46 percent of people suffer from skin tags, mostly due to heredity.
Other factors that might play a role in the development in skin tags include the presence of certain forms of human papillomavirus (HPV), hormonal changes during pregnancy and diabetes.
You can consider procedures like cauterization, cryosurgery, ligation and excision to remove skin tags. These procedures are done by a trained medical professional or a dermatologist.
Alternatively, you can use home remedies to get rid of them. Home remedies are less invasive and can give you the same positive results.
Make sure to wash your skin with soap and warm water, and pat dry before applying any of these remedies. Plus, it is suggested to consult your doctor before proceeding to remove any skin growth or development.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for skin tags.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the best home remedy for skin tags. The acid in apple cider vinegar breaks down the excess cells in the skin tag and naturally removes them.
- Dip a cotton swab in apple cider vinegar and apply it directly on the skin tag. There will be a stinging sensation for a few minutes that will soon stop.
- Leave it on for three or four hours, then wash it off with warm water.
- Follow this remedy at least three times daily for two to four weeks to eliminate the tags.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, dilute the apple cider vinegar with a little water before applying it. To avoid scarring, apply olive oil or vitamin E oil on the affected area on a regular basis.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Being very acidic in nature, tea tree oil is also a good remedy for skin tags. This oil will dry out the skin tag and gradually it will fall off on its own without any pain. Plus, the antiseptic property of tea tree oil will protect the skin after the tag has been removed.
- Dip a cotton ball in water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Put three or four drops of tea tree oil on the wet cotton ball.
- Rub the cotton ball over the skin tag, massaging gently in circular motions.
- Leave it on for a few hours before washing it off.
- Repeat this three times daily for a few weeks or until the skin tag vanishes.
Note: If you have very sensitive skin, make sure to dilute the tea tree oil with an equal amount of water before application.
3. Castor Oil
Castor oil is another effective home remedy to remove skin tags. This oil helps dissolve and eliminate unusual skin growths without leaving a scar. Plus, it is loaded with many nutrients that help keep your skin healthy.
- Prepare a paste by mixing two parts castor oil with one part baking soda.
- Optionally, you can add a few drops of lemon oil or peppermint oil to the paste.
- Apply this paste on the skin tag.
- Cover it with a bandage and leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat daily for about two weeks or until the tag is gone.
You can even rub some castor oil on your skin tags several times a day to get rid of them quickly.
Fresh garlic can help treat a number of skin conditions including skin tags. It is believed that the enzymes present in garlic help shrink skin tags naturally.
- Crush a few garlic cloves to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the skin tags.
- Cover it with a bandage and leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash the area with warm water.
- Repeat daily for a few days until the skin tag comes off.
5. Onion Juice
Onion juice has an acidic nature, hence it can help get rid of skin tags.
- Cut one onion into small pieces.
- Add one-half teaspoon of salt to it and let it sit overnight in a closed container.
- The next morning, extract the juice from the salted onion and set it aside.
- Before going to bed, apply the juice on the skin tag and cover it with a bandage.
- The following morning, wash the area with warm water.
- Repeat every night for a week or until the tag comes off.
6. Banana Peel
Banana peel is another effective remedy for skin tags due to its strong antioxidant properties. Also, the enzymes present in the banana peel help dissolve the tags naturally.
- Cut a small piece of banana peel and place the inside part of it over the tag.
- Wrap a bandage over the peel and leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, remove the peel and wash the area with water.
- Repeat every night for a few days until your skin tag drops off.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is used to treat many skin problems including skin tags due to its amazing healing properties. Also, aloe vera is known for its anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties that can be very effective in treating skin tags.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the skin tag.
- Massage gently in a circular motion for a few seconds.
- Allow the gel to be completely absorbed into the skin.
- Repeat at least three times daily for two weeks.
9. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is known for its antioxidant properties and skin regeneration potential. This is why vitamin E oil is considered one of the best treatments for removing skin tags.
- Break open a vitamin E capsule to extract the pure oil.
- Apply a thin layer of the oil on the skin tag.
- Cover the area with a bandage and leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, reapply vitamin E oil and apply a new bandage.
- Again before going to bed, reapply.
- For best results, do this repeatedly for 10 days.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
The powerful antioxidants in fenugreek seeds help remove dead skin cells, including skin tags. Fenugreek seeds will help shrink skin tags until they disappear completely.
- Soak two or three teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a glass of warm water overnight.
- In the morning, strain the seeds and collect the water in another bowl.
- Drink this water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
- You can also put some of the water on the skin tag and chew the soaked fenugreek seeds.
- Repeat daily for one or two weeks.
10. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil has antiseptic properties and can help dry out skin tags. Also, when applied topically, it serves as a cleansing and numbing agent.
- Mix together two drops of oregano oil and four drops of coconut oil.
- Apply the oil mixture on the skin tag.
- Allow it to air dry, and then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat three times daily until the skin tag drops off.
Follow these remedies patiently and persistently until you get the desired results.