Turmeric has antibiotic, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat sinus infections and congestion. It has an active compound called curcumin that helps heal the swelling in the sinus cavity and clear the airways.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric powder in a glass of warm water. Gargle with it a few times a day for a few days.
- You can also drink a glass of hot milk mixed with one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little honey. Drink it daily for about one week or until the infection clears.
- Another option is to create a turmeric smoothie by blending two pieces of turmeric root (two inches), juice from one lemon, one tablespoon of honey, a pinch of cayenne pepper, one banana and one-half cup of water. Drink this smoothie daily for a few days.
Breathing in steam will help relieve nasal congestion and clear sinuses. Plus, a warm compress will help reduce sinus pressure and headaches.
- Run a hot shower and breathe in the steam vapors for about five to 10 minutes. Do this daily for a few days until the infection clears.
- You can also place a wet, warm towel on your face for a few minutes, several times a day for a few days to help relieve sinus pressure.
In addition to these remedies, follow some simple measures like drinking plenty of water to thin the mucus and using a humidifier to keep the nasal passages moist. Plus, adequate rest will facilitate speedy recovery.