9. Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow root has been used traditionally to treat a sore throat as well as other symptoms of pharyngitis. Its mucilage coats and soothes the throat to relieve irritation.
- Add one tablespoon of dried marshmallow root to one cup of boiling water.
- Cover and steep for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain and add some honey.
- Drink two to three cups of this herbal tea daily until you get better.
Note: This remedy is not suitable for pregnant or nursing women, or people who are diabetic.
Due to its anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, garlic is another excellent home remedy for pharyngitis. Its active compound allicin is particularly good at killing bacteria.
- Add a few drops of garlic oil to one-fourth cup of hot water. Gargle with this solution once or twice daily for two to three days.
- Alternatively, add one teaspoon of grated garlic, one-fourth teaspoon of cinnamon and a small amount of cayenne pepper to a cup of boiling water. Boil for another two minutes and then strain it. Drink this tea twice daily until you get relief.
- You can also peel a fresh garlic clove, slice it in half and then suck on the garlic pieces like a cough drop. Occasionally, crush the garlic between your teeth to release its allicin. Do this several times a day for a few days for best results.
- You can also have chicken soup to help soothe a sore throat.
- Drink water several times a day to keep your body hydrated.
- Suck on frozen fruit-flavored ice pops.
- Use a humidifier to moisten and soothe a dry and painful throat.
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products and avoid second hand smoke.
- Get plenty of rest to recover quickly.
These remedies and tips will help you feel better within a few days. However, if you have pharyngitis symptoms for more than a week, you must see a doctor.