Fennel seeds are believed to be useful in weight loss because of their diuretic properties. Fennel seeds have that wonderful aroma around them, which make them great for flavoring dishes.
The major compounds of fennel include essential oil, fatty acid, phenylpropanoids, monoterpenoids, sesquiterpenes, coumarins, tannins, flavonoids etc.
The biological properties of fennel are attributed to its volatile and non-volatile compounds in it. It is useful for the treatment of stomachic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (20).
A diet of fennel seeds was shown to improve weight loss and decrease leptin (a hormone linked to body weight) concentration in obese animal models in a study published in 2017 . Diuretics help you lose weight quickly by reducing water retention. They do not cause long-term weight loss though.
- Slightly dry roast and grind fennel seeds. Sieve the powder. Take one-half teaspoon of this powder twice daily with warm water. This remedy will also help relieve abdominal gas, indigestion, and constipation.
- You can also drink fennel tea 15 minutes before meals.
10. Honey and Cinnamon
Include honey and cinnamon tea in your diet to boost your metabolism, increase your energy, and detoxify your body. All of these effects support weight loss.
Organic honey is a highly nutritious product that contains vitamins and minerals. It is an energy booster and has antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory properties. It is also used to treat respiratory illnesses and for wound healing .
Honey fights obesity by promoting fat metabolism. In a study published in 2017, rats that were fed with honey for four weeks had a significant reduction in excess weight gain in comparison to rats that were on a high-fat diet .
Cinnamon helps you avoid overeating by fighting insulin resistance and also reduces oxidative stress associated with metabolic syndrome. Sri Lankan or Ceylon cinnamon is the true cinnamon that is well tolerated and safe when used in therapeutic doses. It is traditionally used for a number of ailments including dyspepsia, flatulence, diarrhea, vomiting, bronchitis, stomach cramps, toothache etc. Cinnamaldehyde and gallic acid are some of the major active constituents.
The traditional use of cinnamon for the weight loss has recently been established in a study published in 2017. The findings of this study conclude that cinnamon may be used as a dietary supplement for the management of obesity .
- Pour a cup of hot water over a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder (you can also use cinnamon sticks). Let it steep for half an hour.
- Mix in one teaspoon of organic honey.
- Drink half of it in the morning on an empty stomach, about half an hour before breakfast. Store the rest in the refrigerator and drink it at night before going to bed.
- Along with these remedies, make sure you drink half of your body weight in ounces of water to flush toxins out of your body. For example, if you weigh 100 pounds, you should drink 50 ounces of water per day.
- Studies have found that plant-based foods can help fight obesity because they contain phytochemicals that prevent oxidative stress, which contributes to obesity. Opt for more plant-based foods rather than processed, fast foods. Plus, include grapes, peaches, figs, carrots, and blueberries in your diet.
- Another very important yet ignored tip to fight obesity is to have a proper breakfast. Research shows that those who have a big breakfast are more likely to lose weight and even a few inches off their waistline compared with those who eat a large dinner. Your breakfast should be protein and fiber-rich, rather than high in carbohydrates. It is also important to relax, exercise regularly along with mindful eating to achieve a desirable healthy weight.
- Magkos F, Fraterrigo G, Yoshino J, et al. Effects of Moderate and Subsequent Progressive Weight Loss on Metabolic Function and Adipose Tissue Biology in Humans with Obesity. Cell Metab. 2016;23(4):591-601. doi:10.1016/j.cmet.2016.02.005.
- Mohanapriya M, Ramaswamy L, Rajendran R. HEALTH AND MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF LEMON (CITRUS LIMONUM). Int J Ayurvedic Herb Med J Homepage. 2013;31095(1). http://interscience.org.uk/index.php/ijahm. Accessed March 8, 2018.
- Kim MJ, Hwang JH, Ko HJ, Na HB, Kim JH. Lemon detox diet reduced body fat, insulin resistance, and serum hs-CRP level without hematological changes in overweight Korean women. Nutr Res. 2015;35(5):409-420. doi:10.1016/j.nutres.2015.04.001.
- Budak NH, Kumbul Doguc D, Savas CM, et al. Effects of Apple Cider Vinegars Produced with Different Techniques on Blood Lipids in High-Cholesterol-Fed Rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2011;59(12):6638-6644. doi:10.1021/jf104912h.
- Budak NH, Aykin E, Seydim AC, Greene AK, Guzel-Seydim ZB. Functional Properties of Vinegar. J Food Sci. 2014;79(5):R757-R764. doi:10.1111/1750-3841.12434.
- Surjushe A, Vasani R, Saple DG. Aloe vera: a short review. Indian J Dermatol. 2008;53(4):163-166. doi:10.4103/0019-5154.44785.
- Misawa E, Tanaka M, Nomaguchi K, et al. Administration of phytosterols isolated from Aloe vera gel reduce visceral fat mass and improve hyperglycemia in Zucker diabetic fatty (ZDF) rats. Obes Res Clin Pract. 2008;2(4):I-II. doi:10.1016/j.orcp.2008.06.002.
- MISAWA E, TANAKA M, NABESHIMA K, et al. Administration of Dried Aloe vera Gel Powder Reduced Body Fat Mass in Diet-Induced Obesity (DIO) Rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2012;58(3):195-201. doi:10.3177/jnsv.58.195.
- Grove KA, Sae-Tan S, Kennett MJ, Lambert JD. (−)−Epigallocatechin-3-gallate Inhibits Pancreatic Lipase and Reduces Body Weight Gain in High Fat-Fed Obese Mice. Obesity. 2012;20(11):2311-2313. doi:10.1038/oby.2011.139.
- Research suggests that green tea, exercise boost weight loss, health | Penn State University. http://news.psu.edu/story/310179/2014/04/02/research/research-suggests-green-tea-exercise-boost-weight-loss-health. Accessed March 8, 2018.
- Hursel R, Viechtbauer W, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. The effects of green tea on weight loss and weight maintenance: a meta-analysis. Int J Obes. 2009;33(9):956-961. doi:10.1038/ijo.2009.135.
- Whiting S, Derbyshire E, Tiwari BK. Capsaicinoids and capsinoids. A potential role for weight management? A systematic review of the evidence. Appetite. 2012;59(2):341-348. doi:10.1016/J.APPET.2012.05.015.
- Ahuja KD, Robertson IK, Geraghty DP, Ball MJ. Effects of chili consumption on postprandial glucose, insulin, and energy metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;84(1):63-69. doi:10.1093/ajcn/84.1.63.
- Jain V, Momin M, Laddha K. Murraya Koenigii: An Updated Review. Int J Ayurvedic Herb Med Near Sanpada Railw Stn. 2012;256(4). http://interscience.org.uk/index.php/ijahm. Accessed March 8, 2018.
- Birari R, Javia V, Bhutani KK. Antiobesity and lipid lowering effects of Murraya koenigii (L.) Spreng leaves extracts and mahanimbine on high fat diet induced obese rats. Fitoterapia. 2010;81(8):1129-1133. doi:10.1016/j.fitote.2010.07.013.
- Bhowmik D, Sampath Kumar KP, Paswan S, Srivastava S. Tomato-A Natural Medicine and Its Health Benefits. J Pharmacogn Phytochem. 2012;1(1). www.phytojournal.com. Accessed March 8, 2018.
- Tainaka T, Shimada Y, Kuroyanagi J, et al. Transcriptome analysis of anti-fatty liver action by Campari tomato using a zebrafish diet-induced obesity model. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2011;8(1):88. doi:10.1186/1743-7075-8-88.
- Raiola A, Errico A, Petruk G, Monti D, Barone A, Rigano M. Bioactive Compounds in Brassicaceae Vegetables with a Role in the Backention of Chronic Diseases. Molecules. 2017;23(2):15. doi:10.3390/molecules23010015.
- Sankhari JM, Thounaojam MC, Jadeja RN, Devkar R V, Ramachandran A V. Anthocyanin-rich red cabbage (Brassica oleracea L.) extract attenuates cardiac and hepatic oxidative stress in rats fed an atherogenic diet. J Sci Food Agric. 2012;92(8):1688-1693. doi:10.1002/jsfa.5532.
- Rathore SS, Saxena SN, Singh B. Potential health benefits of major seed spices. Int J Seed Spices. https:/s.semanticscholar.org/6cc2/3b14b68277bf77fa068bfac8afa5d4b6b060. Accessed March 8, 2018.
- Nejatbakhsh R, Riyahi S, Farrokhi A, et al. Ameliorating effects of fennel and cumin extracts on sperm quality and spermatogenic cells apoptosis by inducing weight loss and reducing leptin concentration in diet-induced obese rats. Andrologia. 2017;49(8):e12748. doi:10.1111/and.12748.
- Kumar KPS, Bhowmik D, Chiranjib, Biswajit, Chandira MR. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. Vol 2. JOCPR; 2010. https://www.cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/20103251958. Accessed March 8, 2018.
- Samat S, Kanyan Enchang F, Nor Hussein F, Wan Ismail WI. Four-Week Consumption of Malaysian Honey Reduces Excess Weight Gain and Improves Obesity-Related Parameters in High Fat Diet Induced Obese Rats. Evidence-Based Complement Altern Med. 2017;2017:1-9. doi:10.1155/2017/1342150.
- Abeysekera WPKM, Arachchige SPG, Ratnasooriya WD. Bark Extracts of Ceylon Cinnamon Possess Antilipidemic Activities and Bind Bile Acids In Vitro. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017;2017:7347219. doi:10.1155/2017/7347219.