9. Sun Exposure
Appropriate sun exposure also helps in the treatment of nail psoriasis. According to the National Psoriasis Foundation, a little exposure to ultraviolet (UV) sunrays helps slow down the rate of growth and shedding of skin cells.
Also, sun exposure helps your body produce vitamin D that helps build immunity to avoid further infection.
Expose your nails to early morning sunlight for 10 to 15 minutes daily. It is good for your overall health as well. However, remember to avoid sun exposure during the peak hours to avoid sunburn and reduce the risk of skin cancer.
Last but not least, don’t forget the importance of your diet. A healthy and well-balanced diet will reduce the risk of autoimmune diseases like psoriasis. Also, it can help reduce the risk of nail infections, one of the common complications of nail psoriasis.
Always remember that your skin and nail health are directly linked to your diet.
- Eat foods rich in fatty acids, as they help prevent fungal growth on your nails. They also help with an overactive immune system. Include salmon, sardines or mackerel in your diet as well as walnuts and flaxseeds.
- Include zinc-rich foods in your diet. Some good sources of zinc include pumpkin seeds, oysters and liver.
- Eat more whole-grain bread, pasta, brown rice, cereal and oatmeal as compared to refined and processed foods.
- You can also try oral antifungal drugs to treat fungal infections caused by nail psoriasis.
- Cosmetic treatments like nail filing and polishing can improve the appearance of your affected nails.
- Avoid cleaning your nails with a nail brush or a sharp object. This will help prevent nail separation.
- Protect your nails from trauma, as it can trigger or worsen nail psoriasis.
- Avoid biting your fingernails or picking at your cuticles.
- If you have a hangnail, clip it off gently.
- If you are not happy with the way your nails look, try nail polish or artificial nails. Just remember to give your nails a break from time to time.
- Dry air can aggravate the symptoms, so use a humidifier at night.