Minor cuts and grazes are some of the most common injuries. It happens when the outer layer of skin gets cut or scraped off.
A cut normally penetrates deeper into the skin than a graze and causes bleeding and pain. It may occur as a result of an accident while handling a sharp object like a knife or broken glass.
Grazes result from friction on the skin against a rough surface, causing the outer surface of the skin to be ripped away. It can be painful and may bleed a little. Usually, a graze will cover a larger area of skin than a cut.
Eventually a scab will form over the affected area and heal quickly. Minor cuts and grazes can be easily treated at home as such injuries are not too deep and do not need stitches.
After getting a cut or graze, first stop the bleeding by applying pressure to the area with a clean cloth, tissue or your fingers. After the bleeding has stopped, clean the area thoroughly with antiseptic soap and water.
Now you can use some simple and easy home remedies to facilitate the healing process and prevent infection.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for cuts and grazes.
Honey is a time-honored remedy for minor cuts due to its several skin-friendly enzymes and natural antibacterial properties. It also keeps the affected area moisturized, clean and free from infection to facilitate healing.
- Slather some pure honey on the affected area.
- Bandage it and leave it on for 1 hour.
- Remove the bandage and rinse the area well with water.
- Follow this remedy several times a day for a few days.
Garlic is an old remedy for healing cuts and grazes due to its antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. It will facilitate healing and reduce pain.
Plus, it has an antimicrobial compound called allicin that helps prevent infection.
- Crush a few garlic cloves, mix in a little honey, and put it over the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the garlic and clean the area with warm water.
- You can also mix 3 chopped garlic cloves in 1 cup of wine. Let it stand for 2 to 3 hours, then strain. Apply the solution to the well-cleaned cut with a clean cloth.
Repeat either of these remedies 2 times daily until the skin heals completely.
Note: If garlic causes skin irritation, stop using it.
3. White Vinegar
White vinegar has a mild acidity due to acetic acid that can cleanse and disinfect cuts. Plus, its astringent and antiseptic properties are also helpful in preventing infection.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of salt in 2/3 cups of filtered water until the salt is thoroughly dissolved.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and mix well.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and apply it to any fresh cuts.
- Repeat the process every 2 to 3 hours.
- Follow this remedy daily until your skin looks better.
4. Aloe Vera
You can also use aloe vera to speed up the healing time of cuts and grazes. It is soothing, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, and hence recommended by experts to facilitate healing of minor cuts.
- Break open a small leaf from an aloe vera plant and extract the gel.
- Apply the gel on the affected area and allow it to dry on its own.
- Repeat every few hours.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antimicrobial and healing properties that can help treat minor cuts and grazes. It will fight infection, promote healing and help soothe any associated pain.
- Mix about 1/2 tablespoon of tea tree oil in 1 cup of warm water. Use this solution to rinse the cut and the surrounding skin twice a day.
- Alternatively, you can dilute a few drops of tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of almond oil or olive oil. Apply this diluted solution on the affected area 2 or 3 times a day.
Turmeric is another very useful remedy for minor cuts and grazes due to its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It can help stop bleeding, reduce pain and prevent infection.
- To stop the flow of blood from a cut, place a little bit of turmeric powder on it and press gently.
- To aid healing, prepare a paste of some turmeric and sufficient water and apply it on the affected area. Leave it on for 20 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat twice daily for a few days.