Papain, the enzyme found in papayas, is a natural exfoliating agent that can eliminate dead and damaged skin cells.
- Mash a ripe papaya to get a paste-like consistency.
- Add two tablespoons of honey to one-half cup of the mashed papaya paste.
- Apply it as a mask over the affected skin area.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this remedy once a week for several months.
Sandalwood is another effective skin-lightening ingredient that can enhance skin complexion and reduce the signs of melasma as well as other types of blemishes.
- Mix equal parts of sandalwood power, turmeric, whole milk and lemon juice to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected skin and allow it to dry on its own.
- Splash some water on your face to moisten the mask and scrub it off in circular motions.
- Finally, rinse with more water and pat dry.
- Follow this remedy three or four times a week until you get the desired result.
Along with the melasma remedies, you must limit your exposure to the sun for prolonged periods of time.
Also, remember to use sunscreen when you go out to protect your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays. Plus, eating high-fiber foods and drinking plenty of water will help get rid of toxins and treat melasma.