If you are noticing growths on your genital skin or around the anus, you may have genital warts. Genital warts, a very common sexually transmitted disease (STD), are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV). This virus mostly spreads through sexual intercourse.
Both men and women can suffer from genital warts. They are flesh-colored, soft bumps on the skin and mucus membranes of the genitals. The warts can appear on the penis, vulva, urethra, vagina, cervix, and around and in the anus. Itching or discomfort in the genital area and bleeding with intercourse are the most common symptoms of genital warts.
Lack of proper hygiene, unprotected sexual activity, multiple sexual partners and a poor immune system are some of the main causes behind the development of genital warts.
There are several over-the-counter as well as prescribed medicines that can treat genital warts. Also, you can try some easy and simple home remedies to get rid of them.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for genital warts.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a popular and highly effective home remedy for genitals warts. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is corrosive in nature. When it comes in with the affected skin, it helps wear down the abnormal growth of the skin tissues. Plus, its antiviral property helps kill the virus that causes genital warts.
- Apply petroleum jelly on the skin surrounding the genital wart to protect the unaffected skin.
- Moisten a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar and apply it to the affected area.
- Use an adhesive tape to hold the cotton ball in place for two to three hours.
- Remove the cotton ball and wash the area with warm water.
- After half an hour, repeat the process again.
- Use this treatment two to three times daily for a few days or until the genital wart is completely gone.
Also, drinking apple cider vinegar diluted in water is beneficial. Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and drink it daily.
Garlic is known for its antiviral properties, hence it can easily take care of the virus that causes genital warts.
- Crush a few garlic cloves into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected skin.
- Cover the area with a bandage, and leave it on for one to two hours.
- Remove the bandage and wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat two or three times daily until you get rid of the genital warts.
You can also take two garlic capsules daily until the warts are eliminated.
3. Aloe Vera
Due to its natural healing properties, aloe vera is often used in the treatment of genital warts. Plus, this herb is rich with antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera can also soothe the skin and relieve itching.
- Cut open an aloe vera leaf and extract the gel.
- Dip a cotton ball in the gel and apply it directly on the affected area.
- Secure the cotton ball with tape and leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, remove the cotton ball and wash the gel off with warm water.
- Repeat once daily for one month or until your warts are gone.
You can also drink aloe vera juice to boost your immune system, which in turn will help your body quickly fight off the virus that causes genital warts.
4. Castor Oil
The odorless and tasteless castor oil is used to treat many skin problems, including genital warts. The ricinoleic acid present in castor oil has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties that help treat genital warts.
- Soak a cotton ball in cold-pressed pure castor oil.
- Put the cotton ball over the wart and secure it with tape. Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, remove the cotton ball and clean the area with warm water.
- Gently exfoliate the area with a washcloth or loofah sponge to remove the dead skin cells.
- Repeat this remedy daily until the wart becomes dark and eventually falls off.
5. Tree Tea Oil
Tea tree oil is another very effective treatment for genital warts. It is very beneficial due to its antiviral and antiseptic qualities.
Repeat either of the following remedies two or three times a day until the wart disappears.
- Mix together four or five drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of almond oil or olive oil. Dab the oil mix on the genital warts, and leave it on for one to two hours. Then rinse it off with warm water.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to warm bath water. Soak in this bath for 15 to 20 minutes.
Note: Tree tea oil is very strong and should not be applied in pure form because it may cause skin irritation.
Onion is an excellent antimicrobial agent that helps reduce the spread of the virus that causes genital warts. Plus, it promotes better blood flow and speeds up the healing process. For treating genital warts, onion should be combined with salt to get the best results.
- Cut two onions into slices and sprinkle one teaspoon of salt over them.
- Cover and let it sit overnight.
- The next morning, put the onions in a sieve and press with a spoon to extract the juice.
- Apply this juice to the genital warts.
- Leave it on for one hour, and then rinse it off with warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat this two or three times daily until you get rid of the warts.
Note: This remedy may cause a burning sensation, but it will go away quickly.